Open Sonic is an open-source game based on the "Sonic the Hedgehog" universe. It introduces a different style of gameplay called cooperative play, in which it's possible to control 3 characters simultaneously. Unlike most similar games, Open Sonic provides a greater level of interaction between the player and the levels. It's more than just a jump'n'run; the user must come up with some strategy in order to get through the levels.
Open Sonic is available for Windows and Linux. The latest release is 0.1.4 (September 19th, 2010). Main features:
- It's portable! No installation is required!
- Sonic-style physics (360° movement engine)
- Available in 9 languages: English, Portuguese, French, Polish, German, Czech, Dutch, Indonesian, Italian
- 2 levels + innovative items + extras
- You can create your own levels using the built-in level editor
- You can make your own custom items, enemies and bosses using our object scripting system
- MODdable capabilities
- Good performance even on old computers*
Can't hear any sounds? Check out the solution.
Check out the source code!
Open Sonic Gameplay:
Video by 166291
A MOD made by one of our users:
Video by creatorsonic25
Mechanical Marathon MOD:
Video by SilverstepP
Shinobi Densetsu MOD:
Video by KZR
The video below is outdated, but it's got a great narrator:
Video by Rsonist88
Sonic and the Magical Stone MOD:
Video by wrath1138