Topic: Forum changes

Hi,

I have changed the forum areas. We now have less discussion areas.

First, since I'm the only moderator now, having less areas makes my life easier. I have plenty of other Open Surge-related things to do, and I'd like to spend as little time as possible moderating the forums - so that I can put more time in development.

Second, in my opinion this new layout better reflects the needs of the project:

• Due to the recent changes in the development philosophy, the "resources for open surge" area does not make sense anymore.

• Areas like "custom levels" and "custom objects" were no longer being actively used. Due to the increase of power of the engine, people were making more complex stuff, perhaps making it difficult to share isolated levels and objects.

• "custom bricksets" and "custom characters" were both ghost areas, which had never any movement at all.

• On the other hand, people still share the MODs they make. We now have an area just for that.

"resources for OS" + "custom stuff" sections were merged into a new area called "game assets". Read more here: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=499 . This area has a rule that only free content can be posted (meaning: DON'T POST SONIC THE HEDGEHOG STUFF). However, since this area is the result of a major merger, and since I'm now the only moderator, please help me find non-free content / stuff with broken links. These should be removed. I'm looking for those, but I'm not done yet, and I need some help.

a disadvantage of this is that the "game assets" area hold lots of stuff in a not-very-organized fashion. For that problem, we encourage people using third-party solutions, such as Surge's Warehouse, OpenGameArt or some other user-made solution. I want to use my free time allocated to Open Surge mostly on developing the project, and less on moderating user-submitted content.

Thank you for your comprehension. smile

Re: Forum changes

for me, ok smile

http://www.powersonic.com.br/downloads/gifs/sonic_32bits/sonicknucklesemeraldsma.gif

I approve the changes. smile

An organized forum helps a project a lot.

Also I'd wish that the assets discussion was a little more organized. hmm Dunno maybe one thread for each level? Are we gonna do this in order of level? cause then we could have just some active threads: "Current Level" "Enemies" "Music" "Objects" "miscellaneous"?

Just suggestions.

wrath1138 wrote:

I approve the changes. smile

An organized forum helps a project a lot.

Also I'd wish that the assets discussion was a little more organized. hmm Dunno maybe one thread for each level? Are we gonna do this in order of level? cause then we could have just some active threads: "Current Level" "Enemies" "Music" "Objects" "miscellaneous"?

Just suggestions.

indeed, the assets zone is not really organized, as I said above.

do you mean putting, for example, every submitted custom object in only one thread? in my opinion that would be even more messy, because one would find it difficult to find stuff from say, 6 months ago (well, but it's nonetheless difficult to find things now, so... roll)

what I suggest is that people find 3rd party solutions (such as ssdw's fansite)... or someone steps forward and become a moderator to improve the organization. For me, the less work I have to do on the forums, the better tongue, so I can put more energy in programming.