Topic: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

it seemed useful to have a place where all levels and objects can be found.
We have already talked about it (http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=602).
but it seemed a good idea to execution, a fan site of open sonic.

I have lots of experience with website and php, I earn money with creating websites.
So I thought, let me make one committed.
it's not compleet yet, it is more the design.

here: http://surgeswarehouse.com/

Who wants to help me with this fan site? everyone is welcome!
ideas and suggestions are too welcome smile

Last edited by ssdw (2012-04-05 19:11:37)

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Objects and forum's buttons at the top need to be switched. Forum leads to the objects page and vice versa. Plus we already have a forum. :-p

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

SilverstepP wrote:

Objects and forum's buttons at the top need to be switched. Forum leads to the objects page and vice versa. Plus we already have a forum. :-p

it comes to design wink
paid no attention to the texts

Last edited by ssdw (2010-11-04 17:40:23)

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

colors look good, and it's very simple. also its very easy to navigate. but when you have more contents for each section, it may become hard to navigate and know what things are.

i have one suggestion: when you start having links to levels, objects, etc it will be better if the contents have a small preview with the name, author, one or more preview images, and a short description of what it is and what it does. what is good is that you already have all that in the forum so it's just copy-paste after you have the page template ready. it will be easier to navigate if you put that information in boxes. like a blog, mostly. dont forget a search feature. google has decent site searchers that you can embed in your page and have it search either google or your whole site. that should spare some memory and cpu, if the server is yours.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Thanks for you'r suggestion smile

KZR wrote:

i have one suggestion: when you start having links to levels, objects, etc it will be better if the contents have a small preview with the name, author, one or more preview images, and a short description of what it is and what it does.

you mean something like this: http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/levels.html
a list of levels in a clear table, This is an example.
In the future everyone can upload his own level on this page.

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Nice job, ssdw. smile

Based on KZR's post, why not put screenshots in the levels page? One hardly downloads some level just by looking at a name. Looking at screenshots is much more attractive.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

sort of...

imagine you have 1000 levels. if the list has no images or descriptions  it will be hard to browse and find what you want.

observe the "quick reply" box, on the bottom of every thread. thats a good size to fit a small picture, a short description, and every other basic info. when you click one of the preview "boxes" in your site, then the next page shows the full information, all images (if there is any), and a link to download.

here's an example:

http://i52.tinypic.com/10qfknm.png


the star system is good. beware of vote-spam, though

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

KZR wrote:

sort of...

imagine you have 1000 levels. if the list has no images or descriptions  it will be hard to browse and find what you want.

observe the "quick reply" box, on the bottom of every thread. thats a good size to fit a small picture, a short description, and every other basic info. when you click one of the preview "boxes" in your site, then the next page shows the full information, all images (if there is any), and a link to download.

here's an example:

http://i52.tinypic.com/10qfknm.png


the star system is good. beware of vote-spam, though

Great idea, you also have experience in websites!
We have levels/object for 0.1.4 and 0.2.0, this should also be mentioned.
Assuming that 1000 levels would be, it might be wise to work categories (puzzle, racing, adventure ...).

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

i'm not experienced with web design but i know a thing or two about design theory, and a lot about web browsing, and i can tell what's an "easy" site and a "hard" site, when it comes to finding stuff in it.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

I have 3 versions of KZR table, I am not happy with it.
what do you think! it's a demo.

1:http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/levels.html
2:http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/levels2.html
3:http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/level3.html

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

11

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

number 1 looks pretty nice with that bg

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

ssdw wrote:

1:http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/levels.html

this

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Alexandre wrote:
ssdw wrote:

1:http://opensnc.ssdw.nl/levels.html

this

Second.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

1 as well. Although 2 is meant to make things more visible, it actually makes things look more cluttered in this form for some reason. It's also hard on the eyes to go from one to the next. 1 is separated by stars and a space as it is, so it probably wont be needed.

For 1, make sure the names of the levels are more visible. There should also be search and sort options to sort by rating, downloads, title, author, submission date(IMPORTANT), . There should also be a page (maybe main page, maybe side bars as well?) that shows the newest submissions, highest rated, most downloaded, most downloaded this week, featured download (to popularize certain levels), etc. The problem is organizing all that to NOT end up a convoluted and cramped mess hmm .

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Thanks for you Comments smile

J0nnJ0nes wrote:

1 as well. Although 2 is meant to make things more visible, it actually makes things look more cluttered in this form for some reason. It's also hard on the eyes to go from one to the next. 1 is separated by stars and a space as it is, so it probably wont be needed..

the second is not pretty, I agree.
I think the first table is the best, Unless someone has a better idea!
maybe it will be great if your mouse goes over a cel, it gets a different background.
same idea as the top buttons (home, download, levels ...)

J0nnJ0nes wrote:

...There should also be search and sort options to sort by rating, downloads, title, author, submission date(IMPORTANT), . There should also be a page (maybe main page, maybe side bars as well?) that shows the newest submissions, highest rated, most downloaded, most downloaded this week, featured download (to popularize certain levels), etc. The problem is organizing all that to NOT end up a convoluted and cramped mess hmm .

I've already said that it is useful to work with categories.
if you look at the top of the page you can also see these features.
This does not work yet, it is an example.
Here you can search and choose a category.
new and most stars are also a catogorie.
are there any suggestions for categories?

does anyone know a good website name?
I call it now "open sonic fan site" but that is not pretty.
maby something with surge, "surge Online" or something

I have exams next week, I'll go work on the website, but do not have much time sad

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Well, considering it's gonna be a site to store stuff, why not make a name with something that has to do with storage or a collection: Surge Warehouse, Garage, Archives, Database (SurgeDB), Attic, Space, Tome, Nest, Pack, Back Room, Rummage, etc.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

J0nnJ0nes wrote:

Well, considering it's gonna be a site to store stuff, why not make a name with something that has to do with storage or a collection: Surge Warehouse, Garage, Archives, Database (SurgeDB), Attic, Space, Tome, Nest, Pack, Back Room, Rummage, etc.

surge's space
surge's packs
surge's files
or
surge's stuff

what do you think?

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

I kind of liked warehouse myself.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

SilverstepP wrote:

I kind of liked warehouse myself.

warehouse, yes i like it to.
surge's warehouse or maby the warehouse of surge

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Surge's Warehouse seems to sound better.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

SilverstepP wrote:

Surge's Warehouse seems to sound better.

I put 's behind surge, but I'm not sure this belongs in the English grammar.
(my english is 4,8 out of 10)

Last edited by ssdw (2010-11-07 00:03:49)

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

ssdw wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

Surge's Warehouse seems to sound better.

I put 's behind surge, but I'm not sure this belongs in the English grammar.
(my english is 4,8 out of 10)

A native English speaker can explain it better to us, but I believe that:

Surge's Warehouse = the warehouse that belongs to Surge
Surge Warehouse = a warehouse called Surge

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

Alexandre wrote:

Surge's Warehouse = the warehouse that belongs to Surge
Surge Warehouse = a warehouse called Surge

I am a native English speaker, and this is correct. I could help with the wording of the site, if you'd like.

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

SilverstepP wrote:
Alexandre wrote:

Surge's Warehouse = the warehouse that belongs to Surge
Surge Warehouse = a warehouse called Surge

I am a native English speaker, and this is correct. I could help with the wording of the site, if you'd like.

Thanks smile
I would appreciate it if you help with the words.
There must of course no obvious errors in the text.

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: Surge's warehouse (Fan site)

OK. So how do I do it.