Topic: Suggestion: Artwork and Music from Sonic Retro?

I saw that you guys are still looking for new artwork and music to replace the ripped stuff, and I figured that some of it could come from the repository that the Sonic 2 HD people have set up of all their new artwork.

You might want to ask permission from the Sonic 2 HD project, but I think they might let you use some of their stuff.

Re: Suggestion: Artwork and Music from Sonic Retro?

the game don't have alpha png and the gfx the author like is very different than HD style.. i don't know

Welcome, King InuYasha! smile

We need specific graphics for Open Sonic. The other day I had some ideas for a cool (and totally different) level for Open Sonic. I'll make some sketches and post about it on the development blog soon, but we can't turn it into reality unless we have an artist in our team. It's not like green hill, not like collision chaos, not like botanic zone, not like anything I know. Adaptations aren't the way to go, as we have specific needs.

Besides, we must replace the copyrighted Sonic characters some day, so... Constantin from SuperTuxKart already suggested using Tux and his friends as the main characters. It might be cool, but I don't know if the public thinks it fits or not in a Sonic-based game. What do you people think? Another approach would be to invent some original characters, like Secret Maryo Chronicles did. Of course: no artist, no deal sad

Alexandre wrote:

Welcome, King InuYasha!

We need specific graphics for Open Sonic. The other day I had some ideas for a cool (and totally different) level for Open Sonic. I'll make some sketches and post about it on the development blog soon, but we can't turn it into reality unless we have an artist in our team. It's not like green hill, not like collision chaos, not like botanic zone, not like anything I know. Adaptations aren't the way to go, as we have specific needs.

Besides, we must replace the copyrighted Sonic characters some day, so... Constantin from SuperTuxKart already suggested using Tux and his friends as the main characters. It might be cool, but I don't know if the public thinks it fits or not in a Sonic-based game. What do you people think? Another approach would be to invent some original characters, like Secret Maryo Chronicles did. Of course: no artist, no deal  Open Sonic Website
My homepage

Brick tool

Using Tux and his friends would be a horrible idea. Inventing original characters, similar to what the Secret Maryo Chronicles did, would be a far better choice. The problem with using Tux and friends is that Tux is somewhat implying a horribly strong bias towards Linux, which you don't really want in a game, unless it is a tech demo of some kind tongue

King InuYasha wrote:

Using Tux and his friends would be a horrible idea.

Agreed. Plus, Tux is short and fat and can not represent speed.

http://steamcard.com/do/sigcard-tf2/abee.png

Alexandre wrote:

But why would Open Sonic need original assets for every zone?  There are many Sonic clones and fangames.  Why couldn't some zones reuse assets from other games?  Also, why not reuse Sonic remixes from ocremix.org?

Alexandre wrote:

Besides, we must replace the copyrighted Sonic characters some day, so... Constantin from SuperTuxKart already suggested using Tux and his friends as the main characters. It might be cool, but I don't know if the public thinks it fits or not in a Sonic-based game. What do you people think? Another approach would be to invent some original characters, like Secret Maryo Chronicles did. Of course: no artist, no deal :(

I wonder if there are other Sonic fangames that have dealt with the problem of how to avoid using the character images of Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles, and the phrase "Sonic the Hedgehog" already.  Should I or someone else post on the SFGHQ forum and ask?

We must have original graphics for everything. Why?
1. Because Open Sonic is different from every other fangame and from every other original Sonic game - thus, it requires different resources
2. Because we must replace the resources by original graphics (read this article). It doesn't matter what other fangames do.
3. Because we want to totally claim Open Sonic as free software. The source code is free (I made it and decided to release it freely), but we can't tell anything about the graphics (for example). The original ogg songs made by Di Rodrigues for Open Sonic are also free. Free software can also be included in popular Linux distributions.

At that point you might as well call it something else that doesn't involve the Sonic trademark, if you want to get serious with original contributions. Sonic fan communities are some of the worst to ask for that, because you'll just be fed recolors and derivative art with very strict "do not steal, credit me or tails will murder your family" licensing.

The first step of this is to conceptualize a non-stylized-hedgehog character that is made without the existence of any Sonic game in mind. Maybe an anime boy with rocket shoes, with a dragonfly having a mental illness.

And if anyone wanted Sonic in it, they would have some separately available Sonic replacement pack that would not be included with the game for legal reasons. This would not be in the software repositories, or even on Sourceforge.

Last edited by CharmyBee (2009-07-31 02:26:46)

then it would not be open sonic.
Just there are a lot of original sprites that are quite good, and its not a bad thing to have a game as an example, I like sonic 3 style for example...

Neoblast wrote:

then it would not be open sonic.

It can still be Sonic, gameplay-wise. It just wouldn't be infringesonic, and have even bigger release outlets than a usual fan game when you're going for the Ubuntu/Debian Free repositories. smile

Last edited by CharmyBee (2009-07-31 18:05:44)

Nah, you can use sonic, sega can't sue us if we use original graphics, because fan games are the same as fan pics, legally speaking, it's a free use of a trademark.

IN any casy sega havent sued any hack or fan games with ripped graphcis or music so...
It's very unlikely they do that to us.

Neoblast wrote:

legally speaking, it's a free use of a trademark.

Unauthorized use when the GPL license comes into mind if you intend to have the data under that. GPL strictly allows commercial selling.

Maybe classic Tux isn`t represent speed, but I founded this concept. What can you say about it? And maybe you know deviantart.com, so there you can find some stuff in sonic-style and an artists. Original characters is good, but in my opinion some "open-source" characters(like tux, firefox, hm... gimp and more others) for Open Sonic will be better.

zl0i wrote:

Maybe classic Tux isn`t represent speed, but I founded this concept. What can you say about it? And maybe you know deviantart.com, so there you can find some stuff in sonic-style and an artists. Original characters is good, but in my opinion some "open-source" characters(like tux, firefox, hm... gimp and more others) for Open Sonic will be better.

What do you people think about "El Sato" ?

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/3/b/b/6/1216180142246253213El_Sato_Tux_The_penguin_in_sonic_style.svg.med.png

I think it's a cool character. I just don't like his name, but that could be changed. We can also create an original character based on him and on Sonic. This new character could also have some new useful skill, since most people complain that Sonic is just used to open doors anyway, ahahah lol

What about a character thats more original? The body shape is very generic-sonic-ish. ?

Alexandre wrote:
zl0i wrote:

What do you people think about "El Sato" ?

I think it's a cool character. I just don't like his name, but that could be changed. We can also create an original character based on him and on Sonic. This new character could also have some new useful skill, since most people complain that Sonic is just used to open doors anyway, ahahah

Open Sonic Website
My homepage

Brick tool

Is cool but the head is realy bad hmm, but all other body part's are cool smile