Topic: [WORK POSITIONS] Level Designers

Do you want to contribute to the development of the game? We have 2 open work positions for Level Designers.

Work description:
Level Designers create the concepts of the levels, writing succinct documents about them. Programmers, artists and musicians use these documents to develop the required resources to complete the level. Level Designers also build the levels using a level editor.

See also: Work Positions | Game Design Document.

Requirements:

• Design levels featuring challenges and a nice gameplay

How to apply:
Please send an e-mail to alemartf(at)gmail.com or answer to this thread. It's a good idea to send us one or more pieces of work you've made in the past.

Re: [WORK POSITIONS] Level Designers

Ok... only i need create the level? without art and music? i
Only i need your respond and i will make a level... if you like, i accept the work big_smile

You're not required to develop the musics nor the graphics, but it's a good idea to create your own brickset. Levels that will be included in OS must look good graphically and have a good level design. A person who can make a nice brickset and a level that is as good as (or better than) the levels of the classic Sonic games should apply. smile

Please read: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … _Positions

Thanks... if i have more time (the school tongue ) i will make a level...
I have a idea for a level, with three ways... one for character

Can I apply too? I know I've only made a few levels, but I've been trying to polish them a lot since last version xD. I'm not good at sprite art though, the only "new" ones I've done are using sprites of old games specially Sonic CD/sonic 1 to keep up with the art style.

Yes. You don't have to worry about the art, since we now have very good artists who create it (cheers smile). However, what all people must keep in mind is that we need levels that have a good "flow", that look good, that are pleasant to play and that are creative.

I'll do it. Choose me! I'm going to be the level designer.
I can do the Special Stage.
It will be like: Sonic and co. gets the ring and the second act will be transformed on a new stage that you need to face challenges and get the emerald. Fine?

Last edited by Ikarito97 (2010-03-27 14:23:31)

Calm down, Ikarito. First of all, we need some concept art for Special Stages. I have a notion for a pseudo-3D Special Stage. Where you can go through this tube and get blue spheres like in Chaotix. However, the challenge is, to get the lowest time possible by zipping through the tubes and destroying saucers to freeze the clock, if you achieve the target time when you reach the goal, you will win a dimensional ring.

I'm ready and waiting for you!

How do I apply exactly? for now my proposal I guess would be Spider Hill Zone which is the most complete I have. And even then it underwent a few changes as you saw on my last update xD. Should I submit a map design or something?

wrath1138 wrote:

How do I apply exactly? for now my proposal I guess would be Spider Hill Zone which is the most complete I have. And even then it underwent a few changes as you saw on my last update xD. Should I submit a map design or something?

Create the concept of a level and write something about it ( examples: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … ory:Levels ). Optionally, you can make your own brickset. After that you build the level and post it here (or send it to me by e-mail).

Just a piece of advice to everyone who wants to apply:
- avoid creating narrow passages / broken platforms. For example, this is bad: (sorry, Silver :P)
http://i44.tinypic.com/14e2o9f.png
The game engine does not handle it well. You can expect to experience some glitches there, and we don't want glitches in our levels.
Make your levels as wide as possible. Only create narrow passages if absolutely needed, and do not create broken platforms at all. This is better:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_puwCpHNoQFg/SOc6MyEXOhI/AAAAAAAAAC8/VH7vRyib4V4/s320/sonic3kq0.gif
Make it open, wide.

- make sure the graphics are continuous and consistent.

- make sure your level is fun

Eh, I know my levels aren't all that great. That's is why I'm a mod, not a level designer. neutral

This is mostly since I use the grid...

Hum... I can do this... But the problem is that I don't now how to make the arctan (sorry) but the rest is all. I can do it.

Could you put this game online beacuse I have a great idea for a level called mideavil mayhem in which you run a constant, deadly gaundlet in wich you can use the characters abilitys to belt suit that piece of the gaundlet. Also I could make a stage called Bomb Deck when you find a giant bomb and must go inside in order to difuse it.

deathbob wrote:

Could you put this game online beacuse I have a great idea for a level called mideavil mayhem in which you run a constant, deadly gaundlet in wich you can use the characters abilitys to belt suit that piece of the gaundlet. Also I could make a stage called Bomb Deck when you find a giant bomb and must go inside in order to difuse it.

Welcome, deathbob. Maybe you have wrong expectations about this game. sad Have you read our Game Design Document?

No, he wants to say: We make a giant brick like a bomb, and when we end the act 1, we can see a giant bomb, and when we get in act 2, we are inside the bomb. The another I couldn't understand

hello! i´m new here but I´ve done severals levels with my own brickset and my own background. The graphic aspect of the level is some... rustic, but I think they are good and I can make good levels with a good brickset. I have enough free time for doing it. Can I get the work? I have to send you one level or thing like that? answer me! thanks!!:D

Piece of cake...!

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:

...Can I get the work? I have to send you one level or thing like that?

Submitting levels regularly will let Alexandre and the rest of us know what you can do.  Since the campaign is going to be the best work we can produce, it would help if you submitted more than one level.

SilverstepP wrote:

Eh, I know my levels aren't all that great. That's is why I'm a mod, not a level designer. neutral

This is mostly since I use the grid...

Well, this statement is starting to look less and less true, huh... LOL!

My levels are definitely improving, especially since the first Hazy Harbor.

I've gone pretty far since--

http://i44.tinypic.com/14e2o9f.png

So, bringing interest back to this subject. Would there possibly be anyone interested for this? I'm kind of halfway right now. I might ask once I get my quest finished if I could contribute to this, since my custom bricksets are quite easy to use. (since they fit the grid)

BrianXP123 wrote:

Do you let 12 year-olds join? (PLEASE!!!!)

Well, you have to prove that you can make levels if you want to be level designer. Show us your stuff... one level isn't enough.

All ages are welcome to apply, however.

BrianXP123 wrote:

Do you let 12 year-olds join? (PLEASE!!!!)

Heh. I'm also 12.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

SoniChris, +1 big_smile

My current levels projects:
Egg Destroyer zone(45%)? Paint City zone(10%), Hollywood zone(100%)
Future projects:
Seacrest County zone

neutral How can I download the "Hello level"?

Last edited by BuddyBRO (2010-09-02 00:14:02)

Hello,

I was hoping that my full quest would be my proposal to my level design but that got hurt in the backup loss. So I decided to release the demo as a preview and as an insight as to how I think a Sonic level works.

I'm kinda busy lately, but I could keep collaborating for now with ideas like for Waterworks and Music Zone and the other zones. I'd love to help with later level designs. Plus what takes the most time is the coding and making spritesheets, so just creating a level and giving concepts should be easily within my schedule plus its really fun. Seeing how powerful the new engine is and how many ideas can be scripted easily into the game this would help with the creativity overall and keeping the levels fresh.

That said, I'd be happy to help OpenSurge become the great game it can be. smile

wrath1138 wrote:

Hello,

I was hoping that my full quest would be my proposal to my level design but that got hurt in the backup loss. So I decided to release the demo as a preview and as an insight as to how I think a Sonic level works.

I'm kinda busy lately, but I could keep collaborating for now with ideas like for Waterworks and Music Zone and the other zones. I'd love to help with later level designs. Plus what takes the most time is the coding and making spritesheets, so just creating a level and giving concepts should be easily within my schedule plus its really fun. Seeing how powerful the new engine is and how many ideas can be scripted easily into the game this would help with the creativity overall and keeping the levels fresh.

That said, I'd be happy to help OpenSurge become the great game it can be. smile

I totally approve of this. He has made excellent level designs in his quest, and  he has proven to me he is capable of making awesome and fun levels.

I have another idea. A Lead Level Designer. He or she makes the level, but all the community can send to him their level or, fragments or a level build in groups. Using this we can colaborate with the level and add to it things that the Lead L. Designer didn´t think. It´s decision of the Lead. L. Designer include the fragments or not, all depends if he likes them. What do you think?? smile

Piece of cake...!