Topic: "Bugs" so far

-When you fall from a pipe or loop the speed increases too much, this does not happen in the   normal sonic games. Maybe it's just adjusting a few things in player.c, rising friction maybe...

-When Braking speed decreases too slowly, and also the brake animation only shows when the max animation is present but it should appear also when running at certain speed, instead the character just seem to be dashing...

-When getting damages X speed increases way too much., player just get bumped the hell away from it is....

-When jumping on a slope the character instead of going up a little or staying where it is, it justs go down, try to jump on a slope on an original game.

Last edited by Neoblast (2009-02-11 19:37:22)

Re: "Bugs" so far

Thank you.

I'm already fixing these issues, and I plan to update the SVN repository today or tomorrow (I will drop a notice when this happens), so one will be able to see the results before the next release. I also modified the level gravity a little bit and the teleporters: now they work only once.

Also... When using a jumper, the character isnt supposed to be spinning after it, it should stay in the jumper pose until he reaches the floor, that way character like tails can using flying when they reach the maximum moment

I have seen other bugs:
In slopes, and specially big slopes(its better with a BIG slope), if you run to maximun speed taking the slope from up to down, sometimes you pass the slope(like a little jump), you don't walk the slope like it should be(i don't know if i'm explaining well, my englis is not good). 
Reading the instructions about the editor, it says i can get the item under the cursor with middle button(or right button, not sure now), it doesn't work for me(so i can't delete an item in a screen), at least in linux, tomorrow i can test windows.  I only tried "oficial" stages, not sure about custom.
In the first boss fight, you must choose Knucles or Tails because you can get stuck at the end of the screen while fighting robotnik, and with Sonic you can't scape of the invisible wall.
Is the editor as precise as a pixel?, usually, the game editors(i haven't seen many) are of multiples of a number, like 8x8 or 32x32, "tiles" is the name, but with this editor, a pixel can cause the first problem i wrote before or the last problem with robotnik.  I think that the stage design(the blocks part, i think) at least should be with tiles of defined size, what do you think?, if the screen is divided in squares nobody could destroy a perfect slope by only a pixel.

Thanks again. I already fixed these issues: please see the SVN Repository. Do a SVN checkout and compile the whole game. Tell me what you people think about the changes. smile

kirbyboy wrote:

Reading the instructions about the editor, it says i can get the item under the cursor with middle button(or right button, not sure now), it doesn't work for me(so i can't delete an item in a screen), at least in linux, tomorrow i can test windows.  I only tried "oficial" stages, not sure about custom.

The mouse buttons work both on Windows and Linux. To pick up (or delete) an item, you must select the item mode. To pick up (or delete) a brick, you must select the brick mode. Same about the enemies. Use Ctrl+N or Ctrl+B to change the edit mode.

kirbyboy wrote:

In the first boss fight, you must choose Knucles or Tails because you can get stuck at the end of the screen while fighting robotnik, and with Sonic you can't scape of the invisible wall.

There's no invisible wall. You were probably getting "stuck" because of the low friction: to move again you should hold the opposite direction key for a few seconds. But I just improved the friction in the SVN repository, so please tell me if the problem persists. smile

kirbyboy wrote:

Is the editor as precise as a pixel?, usually, the game editors(i haven't seen many) are of multiples of a number, like 8x8 or 32x32, "tiles" is the name, but with this editor, a pixel can cause the first problem i wrote before or the last problem with robotnik.  I think that the stage design(the blocks part, i think) at least should be with tiles of defined size, what do you think?, if the screen is divided in squares nobody could destroy a perfect slope by only a pixel.

Open Sonic is *not* tile-based. In the first days of development, the level editor had a grid like you're saying, but back then it was really difficult (impossible ^_^") to build the levels because the blocks didn't fit. So I removed the grid and it became precise as a pixel.

I'm still amazed how you made those level with that tiny editor...
Also, when entering debug mode there should be an option ( sonic should "be" the mouse pointer in level edit mode, that way you can move it to test X part of the map, just like the debug mode in the sonic games )
to move sonic in level edit mode

Okey, sorry for my double post.
Well most of the stuff seems fixed now, the springs works as they should.
There is more friction but it still seems a bit low, character gets too much X speed when falling from a pipe or a loop, try increasing it a little more...
Most of the stuff now works good.

For supersonic implementation:
2x MAX SPEED
2x ACCELERATION
2x JUMPPOWER
invincible flag
ring countdown script

That should be it, also remember changing the sprites to get the shine effect.

Special stages ( as a beta form ): Could be a "normal" zone with some special theme filled with s lot rings and spring to get to higher zones ( only one character for this, select one like in bosses maybe ??) and the player has to get X amount in X time or elseit got kicked from the special zone. If succeded pop to the chaos emerald obtained screen using a white screen, and the part of the code when clearing a stage, doing the count of the rings score and time....

Yes, the editor works perfectly, its my fault, i didn't know that to grab a brick you should be in brick mode.
I have tested the trunk version and has improved a lot, now it feels more natural when you brake, but happens the same than before, if you go fullspeed(sometimes, it doesn't happen always) in a slope going down, it pass the slope, i have a screenshot, but i don't know how to post it, help?.

kirbyboy wrote:

I have tested the trunk version and has improved a lot, now it feels more natural when you brake, but happens the same than before, if you go fullspeed(sometimes, it doesn't happen always) in a slope going down, it pass the slope, i have a screenshot, but i don't know how to post it, help?.

I don't understand what you're saying. Posting a screenshot would be nice. You can use some service like http://www.tinypic.com or http://www.imageshack.us to upload an image to the internet, and you can post it here using the [ img ] tag (click on the image icon) smile

Argh, i can't get a good screenshot now, you will have to wait until monday, in my job i have a good screenshot of what happens, it happens rarerly, but sometimes happens, sorry.

Ok, here is the screenshot:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/4249/s000ow6.th.png
Sometimes, instead of going stickied to the floor, it's like it's jumping, it happens rarely and usually at high speed.

Yes it should stick to the ground and not on the air.

Oh, I just saw the problem, but I couldn't figure out a regular pattern. I'll try some more at night. This will require some extensive testing, but it will be fixed smile