Topic: Mechanical Marathon Is Dead

Because it's not Mechanical Marathon anymore.

You guys didn't think I'd really stop making this, now did you?

The game's now known as Haywire (as KZR stated), and I'm making it in Construct 2.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24102763/Haywire/index.html

It feels a bit like Sonic, but as you'll probably notice, there's some differences in physics, speed, etc. There won't be any loops or halfpipes (at least, likely not, i'd have to rewrite a lot of stuff) but the game is now gonna be more based on using powers and defeating bosses. The engine is still being worked on, and whenever I update the game, it will appear in that link.

The arrow in the top right corner indicates an update is available, if its blue, click it. If it's red, its downloading the update.

I'm testing status effects. For now, Q will poison you, getting hurt by the spikes will chill you, using lightning in the water will paralyze you, and activating EMP Burst will short your shields out (along with any enemies in the vicinity, but I need to finish Flare (Fire guy) before I begin that). Poison should be self explanatory, Chilled will make you move at a horribly low speed, and Shorted will result in the target taking double damage from everything. It also can get 'ignited' by any electrical attack and do some massive damage and paralyze the target. Paralyzing makes you completely immobile.

Anyways, as for mechanics and moves, pretty simple stuff, but still fun nonetheless. Every ability you use will have a use. And every ability also has a cooldown that forces you to wait before doing anything else. All the moves available now will have to be unlocked in the game once it's complete. Haywire is non-linear, so you'll likely pass by places where you must use powers you haven't recieved yet. I figured it would be more fun to have a giant world where everything is connected than to break it down act by act.

So basically it went the same direction KZR's mod is going.

Blitz's (yes I renamed him) controls:

Left Click: Target Lightning. You can charge it up.

Right Click while stopped: Mind Shock. It will confuse any enemies it hits and will be used to open certain doors that are controlled by an AI. It will direct itself towards the cursor.

Right Click while moving: Plasma Blade. It will deal some damage to enemies and will be used to cut various obstacles (wires, vines, etc) that are in your path.

Right Click while mid-air, Cursor is below player: Bolt Slam. Acts as a double jump and can paralyze enemies.

Right Click while mid-air, Cursor is above player: Plasma Blade in the air. Functions the exact same way it does on the ground.

Right Click while holding down, and stopped: EMP Burst. Basically shorts out everything on screen, including yourself. High risk, high return.

Q won't always be poison (it'd be pretty pointless), that will actually be the button used to switch to Flare, once he's done. You swap characters on the spot. Flare will have different moves to get through other obstacles, and there will be some areas where you can't switch characters until you destroy the jammer(s) that are preventing it.

Also, I'd really prefer that you guys would ask to use my stuff if you aren't already, it's only polite. I'm OK with being credited for my stuff if you ask me first to let you use it, but don't just put it in and credit me without me knowing about it. I'd like to see what's being used where before deciding anything.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2013-05-06 18:16:08)

Re: Mechanical Marathon Is Dead

cool! hey is it downloadable.

www.facebook.com/24XFSAL  Hasn't been updated anytime recently, don't bother.
I'm on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rain-new-holy - I plan to upload one soon.
Name change from 24XFSAL coming soon. Currently studying for Information Technology and Game development. (Also studying game theory in spare time.)

Good to know.

jobromedia wrote:

Good to know.

Yes. Yes it is.

oh ok.

www.facebook.com/24XFSAL  Hasn't been updated anytime recently, don't bother.
I'm on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rain-new-holy - I plan to upload one soon.
Name change from 24XFSAL coming soon. Currently studying for Information Technology and Game development. (Also studying game theory in spare time.)

oh, that's nice! a different kind of game, where you have multiple rooms in a non-linear fashion. Kinda like if cave story and the old MM came together, in a sense. smile

as an offtopic, is it not possible to release what you have done of the old Mechanical Marathon? It was so fun, and it's kinda sad to see it disappear just like that.

glad to see you again.

Alexandre wrote:

oh, that's nice! a different kind of game, where you have multiple rooms in a non-linear fashion. Kinda like if cave story and the old MM came together, in a sense. smile

as an offtopic, is it not possible to release what you have done of the old Mechanical Marathon? It was so fun, and it's kinda sad to see it disappear just like that.

glad to see you again.

Well what you've seen around here is essentially everything I've really done with it. I've had college work and jobs to deal with so I haven't really gotten to work too much on it before I jumped engines.

Also I guarantee you that if you found the old one fun that you'll love this version. I'll try to post updates here as they're made.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2013-05-08 16:22:37)