Topic: Insight

I have been toying around with Java+Slick2d+lwjgl and I think I finally understand why you don't want to use hardware acceleration on Opensurge...the Linux support for it is awful.  Here I am, developing a game, when I go to execute it on Linux; the FPS is atrocious.  Then, I execute the exact same code on the exact same machine on the Windows Partition and surely enough it runs smoothly...The moral of the story here is that support for the technologies that could bring the gaming market to Linux simply isn't there, in this thread let's discuss why Linux has such horrible proprietary drivers which do not even begin to support the kind of things their windows couterparts can do, and what we can do to help change that so that Linux becomes a more viable market for game developers, because as it stands now I can really only think to offer experimental Linux support and I have no clue how people who can make bigger, better, prettier engines than I can produce in any realistic timeframe would be able to viablly port anything to Linux.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

Re: Insight

Games using OpenGL run just fine on my Linux box. Do you have the correct drivers?

lunarrush wrote:

I finally understand why you don't want to use hardware acceleration on Opensurge

Who said that?

yes it's probably a driver issue, especially if using AMD graphics cards, AMD is known for not giving Linux proper support.

BUT, if you use Nvidia, there are both proprietary and community drivers fixed for maximum compatibility. I had no issues in Ubuntu 12.x, it might be the Distro not being properly supported or compatible.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

It was an AMD card using the AMD blob, and my simple game ran at a framerate literally 1/100th of what I could achieve in Windows, literally to the point of causing noticeable lag and choppy movement.  The problem, I think, relates to Slick2d or lwjgl, the upper level librarys I'm using to make the game, perhaps it is simply not optimized for Linux or perhaps Java game development is just hard on Linux.  Perhaps it could also be the Java implementation in Linux.  Either way, the AMD blob doesn't seem to handle it very well, nor does it seem to handle Cinnamon very well which is a shame because Cinnamon is a very pretty desktop environment.

Alexandre wrote:

Games using OpenGL run just fine on my Linux box. Do you have the correct drivers?

lunarrush wrote:

I finally understand why you don't want to use hardware acceleration on Opensurge

Who said that?.

I was under the impression that the game was to come first, then new features for the engine itself, such as the port to Allegro 5, the point I was attempting to make is that you do not want to worry about such things now and that you simply want to get Open Surge underway.

Also, most games using OpenGL seem to work with the AMD blob, but there are certain instances where they simply do not want to cooperate and I end up with graphical glitches and other problems.  A prime example of this (though not a game) is the way Cinnamon acts when it has the AMD blob vs. when it doesn't have the blob.  When it has the blob, graphical errors abound and it becomes nearly unusable.  Without the blob it runs well until there is some sort of taxing thing happening to the graphics card, then it slows down horribly and becomes unusable.  While most games work, that set that simply works better without the correct driver is what confuses me so.

So, I suppose the focus of this topic has shifted, why does the AMD blob seem to cause glitches where the open source drivers cause their own problems, such as chugging frame rate when something graphically taxing is happening and seemingly making the card run hotter (based on my experience and the experience I've found of people who have cards overheat using the open source driver).  Also, feel free to give any suggestions as to what could be done to help the problems of either side.  A small note though: it seems the AMD blob offers better performance at the cost of some applications and desktop environments not working properly.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges