Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2011-07-24 00:52:05

SilverstepP

[Suggestion]Slightly Revising the To-Do list?

Maybe a few suggestions:

-- The New item boxes could just be replaced with placeholder objects that achieve the same effect, so I say they should go to low priority for that reason.

-- on_category_collision could go above pulverize_object just because it has more uses.

-- What needs to be done for the shields, exactly? Couldn't we achieve a similar effect just by scripting? Maybe we should move their priority down a bit.

-- I think improving the camera should switch places with set_scale since the camera is something constantly interacting with the player while set_scale really doesn't seem all too important (unless I'm mistaken).

We don't have to do this but I'd at least like to know why it is the way it is on these specific nitpicks. wink

#2 2011-07-24 04:30:42

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: [Suggestion]Slightly Revising the To-Do list?

I, on the other hand, think we could just leave water out of 0.2.0. Seriously, it's not all that important for Sunshine Paradise. Also, unfortunately I'm currently short of free time to implement it on the engine now, and using custom objs for water, in my opinion, is a bad idea. Firstly because the physics could be made more accurate if it was coded directly in the engine, and secondly because the translucency effects really kill the fps. I can barely play the game on my pc when a scripted water obj is near the screen. If it was coded in the engine, I believe I could make it somewhat faster.

-- The New item boxes could just be replaced with placeholder objects that achieve the same effect, so I say they should go to low priority for that reason.

No gambiarras, please.

-- on_category_collision could go above pulverize_object just because it has more uses.

they're both on medium priority. if request A is above request B in the list, and if they're in the same category, it doesn't necessarily mean that A will be made before than B

-- What needs to be done for the shields, exactly? Couldn't we achieve a similar effect just by scripting? Maybe we should move their priority down a bit.

sure, we discussed that some shields would give special powers to the player... but who will make that?

-- I think improving the camera should switch places with set_scale since the camera is something constantly interacting with the player while set_scale really doesn't seem all too important (unless I'm mistaken).

fair enough, but i don't think it should go high priority because it's not easy to make and time is scarce.

in high priority i'm considering things that should be in 0.2.0

#3 2011-07-24 05:08:07

lunarrush

Alexandre wrote:

I, on the other hand, think we could just leave water out of 0.2.0. Seriously, it's not all that important for Sunshine Paradise. Also, unfortunately I'm currently short of free time to implement it on the engine now, and using custom objs for water, in my opinion, is a bad idea. Firstly because the physics could be made more accurate if it was coded directly in the engine, and secondly because the translucency effects really kill the fps. I can barely play the game on my pc when a scripted water obj is near the screen. If it was coded in the engine, I believe I could make it somewhat faster.

Have you thought of using dithered sprites with no alpha as an option for water.  I've just barely finished implementing this into SD for water objects, and I must say that it works well in my experience.  We'll be releasing a new beta within a few days, and you will be able to check it out smile.  Of course, we still offer Alpha mode, but through the ingame menu system we've made an option to swap to dithered any time.

Last edited by lunarrush (2011-07-24 05:09:11)

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#4 2011-07-24 06:21:37

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

lunarrush wrote:

Have you thought of using dithered sprites with no alpha as an option for water. I've just barely finished implementing this into SD for water objects, and I must say that it works well in my experience.

Can you please post 2 or 3 screenshots? smile

#5 2011-07-24 06:46:41

lunarrush

Ok, here you are:
With Alpha:
s006.png
s012.png
s016.png

With Dithering:
s009.png
s013.png
s015.png

Last edited by lunarrush (2011-07-24 07:02:21)

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#6 2011-07-24 15:04:52

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

just a curiosity, lunarrush: in your computer, do you notice some difference in the game speed when in alpha/dithered mode? also, what are the specs of your pc?

also, i noticed that in the first dithered pic you seem to have an alpha image on top of it, so i guess it can 't be used as a reliable measure.

#7 2011-07-24 16:42:56

KZR
Website

the dithered version is the same as solid (no alpha), so it does not compute translucency. it's about the same difference you notice by standing near water and away from water

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#8 2011-07-24 16:49:43

SilverstepP

Think of it like this. The way all of the shields are made in the art are dithered so alpha isn't required. Just putting little transparent pixels in a pattern of sorts so it imitates alpha.

Though to be completely honest I'd really like to just see alpha work better.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2011-07-24 16:50:21)

#9 2011-07-24 21:02:29

lunarrush

I never notice any lag on my PC unless there is an object that is repeatedly spawning children, however I will grab some measurements of average framerate that i get and see what kind of difference it makes.

Measurements Edit:
WIth Alpha on, I average 98 FPS
With Dithering on, I average 100 FPS
After watching the FPS readout for a minute, I determined that it doesn't go above 100, I believe this has something to do with the program.

My Computer Specs:
2.4Ghz AMD Phenom Triple Core
4 MB of DDR3 ram
DX11 compatible ATI Radion Graphics Processor
OS: Ubuntu 11.04 Running unity shell and Linux Kernal Version 2.6.38-10

Last edited by lunarrush (2011-07-24 21:23:55)

Board footer