A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2011-04-28 02:24:03

KZR
Website

same scripting API in another engine

if someone were to build an engine capable of reading Open Surge scripts, would that engine have to be free and produce free games?

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#2 2011-04-28 03:26:34

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: same scripting API in another engine

if it uses code from the Open Surge Engine, then it must be GPL

#3 2011-04-28 10:40:07

KZR
Website

i dont mean using code, i mean being able to interprete the same commands.

#4 2011-04-28 16:32:15

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

KZR wrote:

i dont mean using code, i mean being able to interprete the same commands.

then no, it wouldn't. are you writing another one?

if you're aiming for a generic commercial game, you should probably look for solutions like unity3d, xna, android, iphone, etc. if you're aiming for a generic commercial game engine, chances are you're dead already.

#5 2011-04-28 17:25:17

KZR
Website

this is only speculating, i don't know if such thing is feasible with our current resources. The SD team has been discussing lots of stuff regarding our future as a team and, our game(s), and some of the questions asked were those.

We all want to try a commercial project after this one is done, but we can't all afford developer licenses of MMF2, or most commercial engines, thus the question. MMF is driven visually and most people in the team like this workflow. having a command parser in MMF2 would solve most of the team's issues on switching engine.

That idea of driving an MMF app wits OSE scripts seems to be strong among us. Not only we could work with only one license, thus successfuly going around legal and financial issues, also the OSE legacy would not be lost, because scripters would still be able to develop in two engines with the same scripts. while the (new) engine would be closed, the scripts would remain open and useable by the OS community. Although the scripts can be easily read and converted by a human, it would also be wrong to close the source of an open scripting language, should we be able to build that parser. Besides some of us "grew" with the community, and like said, we dont want to lose the legacy smile

#6 2011-04-29 00:33:46

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I can tell our engine is very valuable to your team.

Given what you just said, please note that free is about freedom, not price. You can sell your game, which is made with the Open Surge Engine, provided that you release it under the GPL. It's nothing different from what you've been doing to this day. Now, if you sell it, a donation to the Open Surge project, although not required, would be greatly appreciated. wink

KZR wrote:

That idea of driving an MMF app wits OSE scripts seems to be strong among us. Not only we could work with only one license, thus successfuly going around legal and financial issues, also the OSE legacy would not be lost, because scripters would still be able to develop in two engines with the same scripts.

I'm not sure if this is a wise choice, since you would have all sorts of compatibility problems. Without the scripting, just migrating to MMF2 would bring you difficulties in team programming, since the event-based programming model of MMF2 isn't suitable for team projects: everything is in one file, and it's much harder to assign programming tasks to individual developers. Open Surge scripting, on the other hand, is split-up in several files, and a simple solution like dropbox already allows collaborative development. Why not just keep using Open Surge? It solves your problems. And it's free (in freedom and in price)

#7 2011-04-29 01:09:44

KZR
Website

yikes you want me to give you money!!! lol

i will donate a part of whatever revenue we get, that's for sure, but selling something under GPL is like ripping people off, no offense. Why would anyone buy something they can legally get for free?

Alexandre wrote:

Without the scripting, just migrating to MMF2 would bring you difficulties in team programming, since the event-based programming model of MMF2 isn't suitable for team projects

Although there are C# interpreters and all the plugins we could think of for such a conversion, after looking deeper into that, i think it would prove harder than what we need right now.
having a commercial engine running a free script engine would be a good way to help our members earn some money, if that project could be succesful. but that's not a near future

#8 2011-04-29 12:35:53

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

KZR wrote:

but selling something under GPL is like ripping people off, no offense. Why would anyone buy something they can legally get for free?

Although most computer programs distributed under the GPL are given away for $0,00, it doesn't need to be that way. You can charge a fee for your product. Read Selling Free Software. According to the Free Software Foundation, "Distributing free software is an opportunity to raise funds for development. Don't waste it!"

Ripping people off would be selling Open Surge itself, since we distribute this project at no cost.

You can charge a fee for Shinobi Densetsu in order to support development. We, on the other hand, prefer a different method: we give away the game and the engine for free, and we ask for donations in order to raise funds.

You have to respect the GPL, though.

Board footer