Topic: Rapid Brickset Editor

I spent a few days making this.

It wasn't conceived to be the ultimate tool for brickset making, but at least it makes our lives easier.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

I spent a few days making this.

It wasn't conceived to be the ultimate tool for brickset making, but at least it makes our lives easier.

Wow. Looks awesome!

However, you may want to use the image in the Third Template Revision download. It has more bricks in the image and got rid of that wired hoop on the far right.

EDIT: I keep getting 'not a .png file' even though I keep giving it .png files.

EDIT 2: Ah, not supported for Internet Explorer. :-( My bad.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2011-02-13 23:15:14)

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Aha an online editor. Might be useful. I bookmarked it for further use. What tool did you create it with?

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

jobromedia wrote:

Aha an online editor. Might be useful. I bookmarked it for further use. What tool did you create it with?

vim and GIMP. The same ones I use to create Open Surge.

SilverstepP wrote:

EDIT 2: Ah, not supported for Internet Explorer. :-( My bad.

IE 8 or less isn't HTML 5 friendly. Try Chrome. It's small and fast.

It might work in Firefox 4, IE9, Opera and Safari, but I haven't tested. If you guys test them, please let me know if it works.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

It opens in Firefox 4 Beta. Haven't used it, though.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

It opens in Firefox 4 Beta. Haven't used it, though.

I tested it in Firefox 3.6. It opens, but it doesn't work. For some reason it gives me incorrect values when reading pixels from the canvas, hence I can't provide correct values for the angles of the slopes. It will always return 45 degrees for any slope with the top-right orientation, regardless of its shape.

Can you please check if it works in FF 4? Thanks.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

I don't know how, I'm not an Open Surge developer.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

It will always return 45 degrees for any slope with the top-right orientation, regardless of its shape.

MTK358 wrote:

I don't know how, I'm not an Open Surge developer.

It's simple. You give a top-right orientation to a few slopes (with different inclinations) like this:

   _
  /
_/

and then you see if the angles are different, coherent. The angle of a slope is measured from the positive x-axis, counterclockwise.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

It's simple. You give a top-right orientation to a few slopes (with different inclinations) like this:   ____
  /
_/and then you see if the angles are different, coherent. The angle of a slope is measured from the positive x-axis, counterclockwise.

What does that mean?

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

What does that mean?

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz187/SilverstepP/template2.png

Use the tool and give the top-right orientation to a few slopes ranging from 1 to 89 degrees. See if the angles the tool returns (when exporting the .brk) are correct. Correct means: The angle of a slope is measured from the positive x-axis, counterclockwise. wink

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

I opened the image you posted in it, and nothing happens when I push the Property and Orientation buttons.

Doesn't work in Chromium either.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

I opened the image you posted in it, and nothing happens when I push the Property and Orientation buttons.

Doesn't work in Chromium either.

It does work in Chromium.

hmmm... maybe it's not as intuitive as I thought it was. Does anyone else feels the interface is confusing?

When you push the Property or the Orientation buttons, the edit mode will change, but nothing will appear in the screen. After you push those buttons, you have to keep clicking in the brickset picture to configure the bricks.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

When you push the Property or the Orientation buttons, the edit mode will change, but nothing will appear in the screen. After you push those buttons, you have to keep clicking in the brickset picture to configure the bricks.

I would have never thought of that, especially since the other buttons in that bar open pop-ups with text and buttons on them, so I'd expect all of them to do the same.

I'll try it.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

When I click the bricks little icons appear on them, but I have no clue what they mean. Maybe the Property and Orientation buttons should pop up a window with instructions and an explanation?

Anyway, it works in Firefox 4.

Last edited by MTK358 (2011-02-14 15:27:41)

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

Anyway, it works in Firefox 4.

Can you confirm if the angles are correct? Does it always give a 45 degrees angle to any bricks with top-right orientation? (that is, when you select the orientation mode, it's an arrow that points up an right)

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Is this correct?

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5876/screenshotdv.png

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

Is this correct?

Please, try selecting all the slopes of the inner curve (the one at the middle) and paste the .brk and a screenshot

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Should the arrows all point toward the center of the circle?

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

like this

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Screenshot-8.png

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

like this

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Screenshot-8.png

Basically, think about the arrow as being the direction the player is running when he is going around the loop in a counter-clockwise direction.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1623/screenshot1rv.png

// ----------------------------------------
// Brickset generated by the
// Rapid Brickset Editor
// http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/brickset
// ----------------------------------------

brick 76
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                135
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      256 32 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 77
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                135
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      272 32 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 78
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                0
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      288 32 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 108
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                135
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      288 48 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 109
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                0
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 48 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 139
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                135
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 64 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 169
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                135
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 80 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 199
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                45
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 96 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 229
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                45
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 112 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 258
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                45
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      288 128 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 259
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                0
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      304 128 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 286
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                45
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      256 144 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 287
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                45
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      272 144 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

brick 288
{
    type                 OBSTACLE
    behavior             DEFAULT
    angle                0
    
    sprite
    {
        source_file      "images/template2.png"
        source_rect      288 144 16 16
        frame_size       16 16
        
        animation
        {
            repeat       TRUE
            fps          8
            data         0
        }
    }
}

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Thanks for the help, MTK358.

It doesn't work in FF4 Beta.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Alexandre wrote:

Thanks for the help, MTK358.
It doesn't work in FF4 Beta.

What's wrong?

Maybe I just didn't click the right arrows?

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

MTK358 wrote:

What's wrong?
Maybe I just didn't click the right arrows?

Alexandre wrote:

I tested it in Firefox 3.6. It opens, but it doesn't work. For some reason it gives me incorrect values when reading pixels from the canvas, hence I can't provide correct values for the angles of the slopes. It will always return 45 degrees for any slope with the top-right orientation, regardless of its shape.

Re: Rapid Brickset Editor

Definitly a nice tool, however I much rather have a download version. Think of it this way:

A dude discovers open surge and downloads the game, he soon after wants to create his own tiles to build his own levels. He finds your brickset editor, and checks it out, but since he has no internet connection, (not all of us are happy to have such a commodity even today), he needs to walk to his library to search for things online. He gets disapointed and gives up on creating his own levels and tilesets.

I still got internet, but I much rather have a download of the tool IF my internet should collapse.