Topic: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Please help us to improve the documentation of Open Surge!

We're starting a campaign to help improving the documentation of Open Surge. The documentation on the wiki is insufficient and we feel that it's confusing to people (specially newcomers) whenever they want to find answers about specific subjects of the engine. You can usually find some explanation in the tutorials, but they do not go objectively to the point; instead they teach you a set of concepts from a practical point of view. Also, the tutorials area is not well organized.

We need your help!

I have already started doing my part on the campaign. I've written a full specification of the levels, which you can find here.

Many of you already do know how to create sprites, bricksets, backgrounds, compose songs, etc. , and we really need this expertise documented in order to help those who don't.

How to help:

Write documentation for the following subjects (click on the link to go to their respective pages). Everyone is free to modify the wiki, so just choose one or more of the subjects below and start contributing.

If there's anything else you'd like to add, PLEASE DO IT.

* Introduction to Modding - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … to_Modding
What are MODs and what should the absolute beginner do to start hacking Open Surge
Where to look for information: ???

* Sprites - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Sprites
What are sprites, syntax of the .spr files and how to code a simple sprite
Where to look for information: sprites/ folder

* Bricksets - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Bricksets
What are bricks, syntax of the .brk files and how to code a small brickset
Where to look for information: Tutorial: Level Editor II - bricks

* Backgrounds - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … ackgrounds
What are backgrounds and foregrounds, syntax of the .bg files and how to make a simple backgrounds (with at least two layers, please)
Where to look for information: Tutorial: Level Editor III - backgrounds

* Sound effects - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … nd_effects
What are sound effects, allowed formats (wav and ogg), syntax of the config/samples.def file and tips for creating sound effects in the Open Surge style.
Where to look for information: config/samples.def

* Musics - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Musics
Musics must be in .ogg format in the musics/ folder. Tips for composing songs in the Open Surge style. Those of you who can create songs have much more expertise than I do to say anything about it.
Where to look for information: ???

* Quests - http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Quests
What are quests, syntax of the .qst files
Where to look for information: Tutorial: Making Quest Files by Naldrag

Thank you

Last edited by Alexandre (2011-12-31 06:21:41)

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

any volunteers?

The Fonts system has also been documented.

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

I want to write but do not think it a good idea.
my english is too bad, sorry.

Last edited by ssdw (2010-12-25 10:21:40)

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

So uh, I have a question.
With the Quest Editor, you could make like missions in Sonic Colors, etc.,?

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

i'm trying to document background creation but i'm having some trouble formatting. it recognizes and quotes code blocks, but incorrectly, or breaks them in several quotes.

edit: 'k never mind i got the hang of it smile

Last edited by KZR (2010-12-25 17:38:51)

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

KZR wrote:

i'm trying to document background creation but i'm having some trouble formatting. it recognizes and quotes code blocks, but incorrectly, or breaks them in several quotes.

edit: 'k never mind i got the hang of it Last edited by KZR (Today 14:38:51)

I can help you with the formatting. Thanks for the help, KZR smile

MasterXSX wrote:

So uh, I have a question.
With the Quest Editor, you could make like missions in Sonic Colors, etc.,?

With the Level Editor you can make levels, and that's all. There's no Quest Editor.

If you want to create custom user experiences, you must invest some months learning the engine. You need patience, otherwise just forget about it.

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Alexandre wrote:

If you want to create custom user experiences, you must invest some months learning the engine. You need patience, otherwise just forget about it.

This.

I'll try to document some stuff, but I usually really suck at explaining things.

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Alexandre wrote:
KZR wrote:

i'm trying to document background creation but i'm having some trouble formatting. it recognizes and quotes code blocks, but incorrectly, or breaks them in several quotes.

edit: 'k never mind i got the hang of it Last edited by KZR (Today 14:38:51)

I can help you with the formatting. Thanks for the help, KZR smile

MasterXSX wrote:

So uh, I have a question.
With the Quest Editor, you could make like missions in Sonic Colors, etc.,?

With the Level Editor you can make levels, and that's all. There's no Quest Editor.

If you want to create custom user experiences, you must invest some months learning the engine. You need patience, otherwise just forget about it.

I meant making Quests. Sorry hmm

Custom user experience?

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

MasterXSX wrote:

Custom user experience?

I guess he meant custom content for the game

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Mods, custom levels, objects, etc. I suppose...

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

I added a built in item ID reference to be completed.

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

jobromedia wrote:

I added a built in item ID reference to be completed.

hmm, are you sure we need this? If you do, here's where you can find information about it:

http://opensnc.svn.sourceforge.net/view … vision=199

(open with notepad++, wordpad, etc)

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Not all codes. Not all knows how to read header files. It is far better to have a more common version in the wiki for quick reference.

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

jobromedia wrote:

Not all codes. Not all knows how to read header files. It is far better to have a more common version in the wiki for quick reference.

I don't get it. The user doesn't really need to know the internal IDs of the items. This is something the level editor takes care of.

Why keep a page in the wiki for that?

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

You allready got this command:

create_item item id

Scripters might need to know the proper ID's to avoid errors. At least I do.

Last edited by jobromedia (2010-12-27 00:52:11)

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Don't worry about your English. I will also help as much as I can, especially regarding grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

it must be in British English? quality spelling and grammar I know a lot more (it's easier than my own language).

http://ssdw.nl/forum/getforumpic.php

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

ssdw wrote:

it must be in British English? quality spelling and grammar I know a lot more (it's easier than my own language).

US English, British English... your choice.

19

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

speaking of translations, since Portugal and Brazil have made an agreement to try and unify the portuguese language, will there be any PT (PT) and PT (BR) translations, or just one unified PT translation?

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

KZR wrote:

speaking of translations, since Portugal and Brazil have made an agreement to try and unify the portuguese language, will there be any PT (PT) and PT (BR) translations, or just one unified PT translation?

There was a PT (PT) translation at some point, but unfortunately Jogait didn't update it at the time we were releasing 0.1.4, so I dropped it.

I prefer having two separate translations, but I think you've raised a valid point. Since you're from Portugal and I'm from Brazil, we can study the .lng file together and try to make an unified version of it using words that 'feel right' to both of us. What would you say about/change in the translation below?

http://opensnc.svn.sourceforge.net/view … iew=markup

21

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

i don't really see a problem on having separate translations, except having two files for a language that is essentialy the same. besides that would be double the work on one language.

I raised this question because i hear a lot of people complaining about this agreement, and having to change the way they were taught to write. but i guess it's just a matter of habit, like for example, you wrote "ato" when we would write "acto" in the past. either way people would complain. maybe we should use words that were not changed with the agreement, something more generic.

this pt_br version is pretty generic to fill most tastes, once again it's just the "ato" that may set some souls on fire... you know the conservative people...

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

Cool. How about this...

"YOU HAVE PASSED ACT 1"
"VOCE PASSOU DA PARTE 1"

If you can help me out by reviewing the translation in future updates, we can maintain the unified version.

23

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

sounds good to me

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

I've modified the introduction to modding page, however I am unsure of the sintax to use to make the Wiki place each of my numbered items on its own line instead of in a large group.
Link: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … to_Modding
Edit: Thanks for the guide, I decided to change them into bullets instead of numbers so that no order would be guessed from their number.  I've also added more since my last post, be sure to check it out and let  me know what you think.

Last edited by lunarrush (2011-01-13 21:21:19)

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

Re: HELP!! Starting a campaign <bump>

I think it's the general wiki syntax. It's tricky to do simple things in it ... takes getting used to.... although I've never gotten used to it..... too weird stuff...

Hope this helps... there's other references if you Google it, "Wiki Syntax":
Google's Wiki Syntax Reference