A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2009-07-22 05:05:43

Frostwarrior

An idea about multiplayer and cooperative play

Hi all.

I want to talk about multiplayer mode. But only "asking for it" seemed to me like too much asking but no helping tongue
I started to think about it, because is strage how 2-players mode can be done with cooperative play. First of all, i dont know programming (well, maybe some sucky visual fox pro forms and thats all).

But i think. Single player cooperative mode is about one player and other two to "swap" with the control key. Then two player mode will use two characters and leave one still for "swap". For example: The first player wants the second player's character. Right? The second player will "swap" (or change character), leaving his character free and the first player can swap to the second player's past character.

Second: About the screen (or camera). What about if each player uses his opensonic window and check another player's screen and position just pressing and holding a button like F5 or so (then the screen will scroll from the local player's screen to the second player's (and then following him)).

Third: About the inet. It may be needed to set a server-client program :sherlock:, a version-checker and something like md5 or crc to check that the program was not modified and avoid cheating.
And the speed may tend to lag if we use the "sendkeys" method that emulators such as mame uses. Sometimes the number of keypresses is so big that the game will desync. Then i think what about if we use something like "checkpoints" to send information about the player (rings, enemies killed, switchs turned on/off) in short time lapses.

Another idea is to short down the keypresses between a very short time interval. Since this is a specific game, and not an emulator,  the keypresses can be shortened in a way so it doesn't affects gameplay. For example, in the game, when spinning movement keys doesnt affect, then making the game ignore the movement keypresses can be a good idea, because we are saving to send redundant data and avoid possible desyncs.
Or if the first player does a fast "left right left" tap then "left", the keypresses can be shortened and the second player will see the first player just moving to the left.

Fourth: The chat utility, but i think that may be easy to do.

Last edited by Frostwarrior (2009-07-22 05:22:18)

#2 2009-07-22 16:58:00

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: An idea about multiplayer and cooperative play

Welcome, Frostwarrior!

Some people already asked for a multiplayer mode. Although that's not a priority right now, it's something that we'll definitely look forward to.

Frostwarrior wrote:

But i think. Single player cooperative mode is about one player and other two to "swap" with the control key. Then two player mode will use two characters and leave one still for "swap". For example: The first player wants the second player's character. Right? The second player will "swap" (or change character), leaving his character free and the first player can swap to the second player's past character.

This is a good idea, but what would be the goal of the whole multiplayer thing? Let's say you and I are playing opensonic together. What are we supposed to do? Clear the levels? I think that would be pretty boring, since we can clear the levels in the regular single player mode.

I'm just throwing out some ideas, but wouldn't a different game mode be better? Like a battle mode or something.

#3 2009-07-23 00:56:17

Frostwarrior

Yeah, you're right. A separated camera can be very boring, since is like single player mode but two instead of one.

Maybe a battle mode or an multiplayer-specific history mode would be more adequate (since i realized opensonic was made only for single player mode, adding another player with the same playing way has no sense).

Last edited by Frostwarrior (2009-07-23 00:59:36)

#4 2009-07-23 07:20:53

Neoblast

Races man, races... that's the multiplayer sonic point since ancient times...

#5 2009-07-23 17:53:47

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Neoblast wrote:

Races man, races... that's the multiplayer sonic point since ancient times...

boring sad

If one wants to play exactly like Sonic games, one should play the original Sonic games, or download some other fangames that try to clone the exact thing. Open Sonic is different and our goal is to offer different game experiences to people.

Let's make something original instead! Cooperative play is a different thing (definitely *not* like sonic heroes). We should invent something different for a future multiplayer mode as well.

For example, some battle mode like Little Figther 2 would be cool. However, let's think a bit more and find something even more creative!

#6 2009-07-23 20:22:25

Neoblast

No sonic game has a decent racing multiplayer mode, there SHOULD be also more modes you know, but that is a classic, and besides the old sonic games didnt have online gaming...

#7 2009-11-19 12:01:07

Bertram

Hi,

Just thoughts of an old Sonic games player wink

> A classic coop mode could be done in multiplayer if both players were in the same map, but starting in different areas, and one character opening new area to the other(s).
There could even be spots where the characters meet, and take a different road permitted by their own skills.

> A survival mode would be a great thing:
- Like being in an arena with spawned monsters, and you must survive a certain amount of time, or the most possible.
- A Boss killer mode would be cool: together, or in competition:
  -- Together, you would have to beat the bosses one after another and survive. This could be even combined with the first survival idea. (Monsters, then boss, ...)
  -- In competition, in separate screens, you would have to be the one beating the most Bosses or finish killing all the bosses the first.

> A smash melee could also be added in an arena map where characters try to make each other fall or get hit,
with items and monsters being spawned from time to time.
> A capture the flag can be added the same way.

> If ever a classic mode raises in OpenSonic, a "finish the level first" could be done, plus adding different rules:
- Winner is the first to get to the end.
- Winner is the most monster killer.
- Winner has got the most rings.
- Winner has got the most lives.
- Combination on average score based on all that.

> A basket game could be made. Having a team of two (or more if new characters appear) defending a location against an attacker trying to get in a hole to score.

Again, just thoughts.

Even if I know this isn't the objective to get a multiplayer game mode until some time, what do you think?

Best regards.

Last edited by Bertram (2009-11-19 14:21:22)

Board footer