Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2009-06-27 18:42:56

Supersonic001

Supersonic001 here, just saying hello!

Hi there guys, just your average sonic fan since he played the original sonic 1 for the mega drive (genesis) tongue

Just here to let you know that I'm quite impressed with this game/engine.

I've took a quick peek at the tutorials, the first one was as easy as easy could be. the others, i've only skimmed through and to be honest, I wish I hadn't tongue. It seems a little daunting now but i know i'll get the hang of it at some point

I've noticed that there's a couple "bugs" (more like abnormalities in the physics) when you jump off slopes, it seems quite unrealistic (especially when you compare them to the classic 2D games).  It's just the angles of which they jump at in comparison to the slope angle. It's not quite right, I'm sure you know what I'm on about as unlike me, you've played the game longer than i have (or in the case of the design team you've made the game so you should be aware of the bugs already) but I'm just pointing it out in case.

The level editor is very easy to use. thanks for that.  Nice to actually see an open source game that doesn't use Game Maker or the games factory.

I do however have one question. How would i go about making/converting some music files into .it/.mod format? It seems to be a form of midi, but would that mean that the midi instruments would change when converted to .it/.mod? Would OGG support be possible? (providing we can loop stuff like OGG)

I hope this gets to be more widely known, I have a few mates who are into Sonic so chances are they'll want a go at this. If i can't add to the project in some way, I can at least spread the word of this great project.

Thanks for a great engine and a great community!

All the Best,
                  Supersonic001

EDIT: I never mentioned the other bug/whatever tongue. When you go up a vertical wall while in a ball and you don't quite make it to the top, as you (the character) is falling down, he comes out of his ball and sands up again. Is this intentional or is this a bug? because in most sonic games if you go up a wall in a ball then you go back down the wall in a ball.

Last edited by Supersonic001 (2009-06-27 18:47:45)

#2 2009-06-27 23:48:41

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: Supersonic001 here, just saying hello!

Welcome Supersonic001! Thank you for your feedback. smile

I suppose you're playing Open Sonic 0.1.1. We have already fixed the physics/slopes issue, but this improvement is only available in the development version (SVN) at this time. Version 0.1.2 will be released to the public next month.

Open Sonic 0.1.2 will also include .ogg support. Hopefully, next version will include some original songs! While the new version isn't out, you can convert .mid to .it using ModPlug Tracker (you can also compose some stuff using it). You can learn more about the mod/it/xm/s3m format here.

About the vertical wall/ball thing, it's programmed that way.

#3 2009-06-28 13:05:16

Supersonic001

Alexandre wrote:

I suppose you're playing Open Sonic 0.1.1. We have already fixed the physics/slopes issue, but this improvement is only available in the development version (SVN) at this time. Version 0.1.2 will be released to the public next month.

Aha! so the bug's already been fixed then smile. Good, Good.

Alexandre wrote:

Open Sonic 0.1.2 will also include .ogg support. Hopefully, next version will include some original songs!

Ah, okay, Good to know, although I'm not a composer i know how to get some sonic songs, or at least songs that sound like sonic songs that are freeware. so the levels i make will sound that much more better.

Alexandre wrote:

About the vertical wall/ball thing, it's programmed that way.

Okay, i suppose it's just as well anyway, if you wanted to cannon ball of a slope when you hit the floor all you'd have to do is hold down anyway smile. so i suppose it gives us a chance to choose.

I do have one other question to add, although it might be a stupid question.

Y'know when making your own brick set, and you have to define the rectangle in pixels around the block, how would i obtain the pixel numbers to work with? I'm using good ol' reliable MS paint (lol) and i have no idea how you find out what pixel it is (the only way i could do it is by literally counting down from the top corner, 1,1 (or 0,0) and count down to the relevant row and count across to the relevant column. but is there an easier way?

#4 2009-06-29 13:32:29

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Supersonic001 wrote:

Y'know when making your own brick set, and you have to define the rectangle in pixels around the block, how would i obtain the pixel numbers to work with? I'm using good ol' reliable MS paint (lol) and i have no idea how you find out what pixel it is (the only way i could do it is by literally counting down from the top corner, 1,1 (or 0,0) and count down to the relevant row and count across to the relevant column. but is there an easier way?

Please remember to enable the status bar. Screenshot:

painte.png

#5 2009-06-29 14:25:05

CharmyBee

hehe you're WINE'ing MSpaint. KolourPaint not good for you? sad

abee.png

#6 2009-06-29 14:44:21

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

CharmyBee wrote:

hehe you're WINE'ing MSpaint. KolourPaint not good for you?

Supersonic001 said he uses MSPaint and I needed to take a screenshot. KolourPaint is nice too. smile

#7 2009-06-29 18:41:39

Supersonic001

Never even heard of KolourPaint tongue

And i just used MSPaint because it's what i had come with my XP desktop. I'd got an old version of photoshop from a mate (he "upgraded" from a windows to a mac. but because he didn't do the "transfer to another computer" option it won't let me install it on my computer without going on at me. I'd like a package which allows me to make flash videos and advanced image editing that doesn't involve a  hefty price.

EDIT 1 - By the way, how would i go about making this a loop? i'm not exactly sure what you mean by tutorial 2

loop%20how%20to.PNG

EDIT 2 - I never thanked you for your help with the pixel location.

Last edited by Supersonic001 (2009-06-29 18:49:39)

#8 2009-06-30 00:34:40

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Supersonic001 wrote:

By the way, how would i go about making this a loop? i'm not exactly sure what you mean by tutorial 2

loop%20how%20to.PNG

Please read the Angles section of the second tutorial one more time. You'll see that loops are made of small triangles with different inclinations. You should break your loop into several pieces, something like that:

loop.png

Do you see the small triangles? Another example:

leveditp2_2.png

Depending on how you make the loop, it will become less or more circular. Let's see an example:

s003.png

s004.png

s005.png

s006.png

s007.png

Supersonic001 wrote:

Linux smile

#9 2009-07-01 17:32:21

Supersonic001

Alexandre wrote:
Supersonic001 wrote:

By the way, how would i go about making this a loop? i'm not exactly sure what you mean by tutorial 2

loop%20how%20to.PNG

Please read the Angles section of the second tutorial one more time. You'll see that loops are made of small triangles with different inclinations. You should break your loop into several pieces, something like that:

loop.png

Do you see the small triangles? Another example:

leveditp2_2.png

Depending on how you make the loop, it will become less or more circular.

Right, Okay i'll give the angles another look again smile hopefully I'll get it working this time.

Alexandre wrote:
Supersonic001 wrote:

Linux smile

....ah. That would explain it tongue

Board footer