Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2010-08-22 20:53:09

SilverstepP

More suggestions and little things I could bring up

Some friends of mine wanted to make a few suggestions, and a few of mine thrown in there as well:

1. In-Game Sound Control... sometimes the sound is a bit loud.

2. Tails descends too slowly when he runs out of fly power.

3. Sonic could run and accelerate a bit faster and jump a bit higher than he does now, since DNA doors are not only specific to him, we need to set him apart a bit more.

4. Decrease the power of the blue springs to about 3/4 of what it is now.

5. Add a 'start time' for the animations like the game does with moving platforms. The animated blocks are never completely synched together and it could make levels like Urban Rush look sloppy...

6. Those water slide objects like in Labyrinth and Oil Ocean.

7. Ceiling landing: When Sonic is propelled by a spring into 91-179/181-269 angled brick, he runs on it. Flying Battery from SK3 uses this a lot... (I'll find a video soon).

8. As an extra, keepp the timing on the spike traps the way they are... We like how it delays a bit more than the other spike traps from various Sonic games.

Pretty much all I and my friends can think of... most of the other issues and suggestions have been brought up already.

EDIT: Forgot one:

9. Put a value for the 'fall' objects so we can determine just how long it takes for them to fall.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2010-08-22 21:14:58)

#2 2010-08-22 21:20:35

KZR
Website

Re: More suggestions and little things I could bring up

SilverstepP wrote:

4. Decrease the power of the blue springs to about 3/4 of what it is now.

that would lead to having to update ALL levels that already make use of the "overpowered" blue spring. maybe a new spring, intermediate to blue and red would be best.

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#3 2010-08-22 21:38:07

ssdw
Website

SilverstepP wrote:

2. Tails descends too slowly when he runs out of fly power.

I totally agree, it is too slow

SilverstepP wrote:

5. Add a 'start time' for the animations like the game does with moving platforms. The animated blocks are never completely synched together and it could make levels like Urban Rush look sloppy...

This is handy because time is already starting, but the player can do nothing!
Moreover, if you pass a savepoint, and death, the time is reset.
not useful for a time trial happy0055.gif

getforumpic.php

#4 2010-08-22 22:05:50

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

We won't do things that break backwards compatibility, but the rest can be considered.

Add a 'start time' for the animations like the game does with moving platforms. The animated blocks are never completely synched together and it could make levels like Urban Rush look sloppy...

If I understand correctly, you're talking about a small delay before the animation begins? By animation I understand the sequence of images of a sprite, not its movement.

Put a value for the 'fall' objects so we can determine just how long it takes for them to fall.

Specific things like this can already be made using the new object scripting system. I have yet to finish and document it, though.

#5 2010-08-22 23:40:24

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

We won't do things that break backwards compatibility, but the rest can be considered.

Add a 'start time' for the animations like the game does with moving platforms. The animated blocks are never completely synched together and it could make levels like Urban Rush look sloppy...

If I understand correctly, you're talking about a small delay before the animation begins? By animation I understand the sequence of images of a sprite, not its movement.

I mean being able to synch the animation so that each one isn't in it's 'own world'. Say there's two platforms that flash on and off. Without synching it up, each platform flashes on it's own, regardless of what the other does. If we add a 'synch' value, we can make the animations match up to make it look smooth.

Put a value for the 'fall' objects so we can determine just how long it takes for them to fall.

Specific things like this can already be made using the new object scripting system. I have yet to finish and document it, though.

OK, I'll wait then.

#6 2010-08-23 00:54:27

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I mean being able to synch the animation so that each one isn't in it's 'own world'. Say there's two platforms that flash on and off. Without synching it up, each platform flashes on it's own, regardless of what the other does. If we add a 'synch' value, we can make the animations match up to make it look smooth.

Oh, I understand what you say. The reason why this happens is because the engine freezes bricks that are far away from the camera in order to save processing power.

#7 2010-08-23 00:58:04

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

Oh, I understand what you say. The reason why this happens is because the engine freezes bricks that are far away from the camera in order to save processing power.

Is it fixable?

#8 2010-08-23 01:01:41

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Is it fixable?

This is not a 'bug' to fix, it's an optimization. But yes, it is possible to sync the animations by using a flag at the cost of more processing power. As long as users don't abuse (i.e., enable it in every brick), things should be fine.

In the meantime I'll think if there's a better solution that also feels good in code. But hey, you can make it using the object scripting system.

#9 2010-08-23 01:11:38

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

As long as users don't abuse (i.e., enable it in every brick), things should be fine.

Aw... lol. Is there any way to cut down on processing power, or is this the only way?

#10 2010-08-23 12:41:27

SurgeChris

SilverstepP wrote:

3. Sonic could run and accelerate a bit faster and jump a bit higher than he does now, since DNA doors are not only specific to him, we need to set him apart a bit more.

1. We don't need the jump stuff. Alex planned double-jump already.
2. About the acceleration, I have an idea on how it should be: When Sonic is 100 pixels from a loop, he should be able to completely run through it (this wasn't possible yet). And what I mean by "loop" is the regular-sized ones in the official levels.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

#11 2010-08-29 11:40:32

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SilverstepP wrote:

I mean being able to synch the animation so that each one isn't in it's 'own world'
[...]
Aw... lol. Is there any way to cut down on processing power, or is this the only way?

hmm, never mind. I found a simple solution by using a different equation to animate the bricks. Now all bricks live in a 'shared world'

SoniChris wrote:

2. About the acceleration, I have an idea on how it should be: When Sonic is 100 pixels from a loop, he should be able to completely run through it (this wasn't possible yet). And what I mean by "loop" is the regular-sized ones in the official levels.

Could be, but let's postpone these issues. We'll get to that when we develop the new movement engine.

#12 2010-08-29 13:32:34

SilverstepP

Can we make it so Sonic can stand on a slope of 27 or less? It seems slightly weird when Sonic slides down these hills so fast...

#13 2010-08-29 13:53:55

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SilverstepP wrote:

Can we make it so Sonic can stand on a slope of 27 or less? It seems slightly weird when Sonic slides down these hills so fast...

No. We're no longer making any modifications to the movement engine of 0.1.4. Since the movement system is going to be rewritten after we release 0.1.4, hacking it now would just be a waste of time. There are more important issues to deal with right now.

#14 2010-08-29 14:07:32

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

No. We're no longer making any modifications to the movement engine of 0.1.4. Since the movement system is going to be rewritten after we release 0.1.4, hacking it now would just be a waste of time. There are more important issues to deal with right now.

I know not for 0.1.4... I'm just asking can it be fixed eventually?

#15 2010-08-29 14:12:49

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

SilverstepP wrote:
Alexandre wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

I know not for 0.1.4... I'm just asking can it be fixed eventually?

hmm, I don't know if that's going to be changed. I'll follow more or less that Physics Guide from Sonic Retro, and according to the Slopes section, there's no such restriction.

edit: I believe what you're asking could be fixed by creating a 0-degree brick with a pixel perfect collision method, however. Pixel perfect collision for bricks will be implemented.

Last edited by Alexandre (2010-08-29 14:14:12)

#16 2010-08-30 03:23:35

SurgeChris

I actually have yet another suggestion. When Tails is out of fly power, he should not be accelerate as fast.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

#17 2010-08-31 23:23:05

Tgarr94

1. In-Game Sound Control... sometimes the sound is a bit loud.
I agree and think that if we can hurridly get that out of the way we can get on to more important business

Steady Boys Steady- Excerpt from the song Hearts of Oak

Board footer