Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2010-06-26 17:59:58

Felicia_Val

Need help with sprites

I tried replacing Sonic with another character but for some reason when I open the game I see a magenta background behind them. Any idea on how to fix this?

#2 2010-06-26 19:05:58

ssdw
Website

Re: Need help with sprites

The background color should be:
red: 255
Green: 0
Bleu: 255
or color code: # FF00FF

good luck smile

Last edited by ssdw (2010-06-26 19:06:28)

getforumpic.php

#3 2010-06-26 19:26:22

Felicia_Val

yeah that is is the same colour I'm using for the background but yet it displays it on game D: i wonder what I'm doing wrong...

#4 2010-06-26 19:31:49

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Felicia_Val wrote:

yeah that is is the same colour I'm using for the background but yet it displays it on game D: i wonder what I'm doing wrong...

Are you trying to modify images/player.png?

By the way, please read: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=379

#5 2010-06-26 19:41:20

Felicia_Val

Alexandre wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Are you trying to modify images/player.png?

By the way, please read: http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=379

My homepage
Brick tool

yeah is the file im modifying right now, just replacing characters with other sprites.

Oh and I read the topic, it works now, thank you smile

#6 2010-06-26 22:18:21

Felicia_Val

Sorry for doble posting but I need help again sad
I almost finished the sheet of replacing characters, I even made a new running animation, but I have a few questions:

1. I see some glitchy graphics that I dunno how to fix (i can post screenshots if needed)
2. How can I put the victory pose in the end and a waiting pose too?

I hope that's not too much x_X ;; and i apologize if this has been asked before...I couldn't find any thread that talks about this stuff

#7 2010-06-27 18:36:20

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:

Sorry for doble posting but I need help again sad
I almost finished the sheet of replacing characters, I even made a new running animation, but I have a few questions:

1. I see some glitchy graphics that I dunno how to fix (i can post screenshots if needed)

I hope that's not too much x_X ;; and i apologize if this has been asked before...I couldn't find any thread that talks about this stuff

The victory pose is only used right at the end of any quest. But it IS used. However, making a victory and waiting pose would force one to edit the source code. I have NO experience with this whatsoever, so I can't help you answer that. I don't even see the waiting poses used, and it would be a nice addition.

I need to see some screenshots to help with the glitchy graphics you refer to? I have made my own custom sprites, experimented, and found out what goes where, so I may have run into the same problem as you have before.

#8 2010-06-27 19:18:40

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Sorry for doble posting but I need help again 
I almost finished the sheet of replacing characters, I even made a new running animation, but I have a few questions

The victory pose is only used right at the end of any quest. But it IS used. However, making a victory and waiting pose would force one to edit the source code. I have NO experience with this whatsoever, so I can't help you answer that. I don't even see the waiting poses used, and it would be a nice addition.

I need to see some screenshots to help with the glitchy graphics you refer to? I have made my own custom sprites, experimented, and found out what goes where, so I may have run into the same problem as you have before.

...and you said video games didn't give you a good workout.

Hm...is kinda weird since I looked into some of the coding inside and apparently both waiting and victory poses are there but dunno how to activate it sad I hope Alexander can explain to us sometime.
Is it ok if I send you in a zip file the sprite.def and the player.bmp files so you can test yourself better? because for some reason I can't seem to take all the screenshots I need >.< There is one sprite that blinks when the character is running and i can't really take a screenshot of that...maybe if you can test it it would be better, but actually what I'm experiencing is that, some sprites blinking (disappearing while moving) and some extra pixels around them when they move as well

#9 2010-06-27 19:33:02

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Sorry for doble posting but I need help again 
I almost finished the sheet of replacing characters, I even made a new running animation, but I have a few questions

Hm...is kinda weird since I looked into some of the coding inside and apparently both waiting and victory poses are there but dunno how to activate it sad I hope Alexander can explain to us sometime.
Is it ok if I send you in a zip file the sprite.def and the player.bmp files so you can test yourself better? because for some reason I can't seem to take all the screenshots I need >.< There is one sprite that blinks when the character is running and i can't really take a screenshot of that...maybe if you can test it it would be better, but actually what I'm experiencing is that, some sprites blinking (disappearing while moving) and some extra pixels around them when they move as well

You edited the sprite.def... and you probably typoed or messed up a coordinate. That's what happened.

What I did was I left the sprite.def alone. I just made a copy of player.png and put my character to fit in EXACTLY WHERE SONIC WAS ON THE CHARACTER SHEET. That's much simpler. I'd rather copy and paste than take a risk in screwing up the game for good.

Did you make a backup copy of the sprite.def file?

#10 2010-06-27 19:38:17

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

Hm...is kinda weird since I looked into some of the coding inside and apparently both waiting and victory poses are there but dunno how to activate it  I hope Alexander can explain to us sometime.

You edited the sprite.def... and you probably typoed or messed up a coordinate. That's what happened.

What I did was I left the sprite.def alone. I just made a copy of player.png and put my character to fit in EXACTLY WHERE SONIC WAS ON THE CHARACTER SHEET. That's much simpler. I'd rather copy and paste than take a risk in screwing up the game for good.

that's what I was doing, I just replaced Sonic with Shadow ^^; the sprite sheet was almost the same as Sonic. Anyways I had to modify the sprite.def in order to make a longer running animation for him, since I used a skating animation for Shadow, I put the extra sprites in the blank squares and put the order in the sprite.def.
But yes, I have a backup of the sprite.def untouched, but still I would have to modify it a bit since I can't work with png files, I had to save them in bmp otherwise i would see a magenta background behind them

EDIT: I just tried replacing the sprite.def with the default one and I still have the same problem sad there are extra pixels around the character in some of the sprites

Last edited by Felicia_Val (2010-06-27 19:46:26)

#11 2010-06-27 20:22:59

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Hm...is kinda weird since I looked into some of the coding inside and apparently both waiting and victory poses are there but dunno how to activate it  I hope Alexander can explain to us sometime.

that's what I was doing, I just replaced Sonic with Shadow ^^; the sprite sheet was almost the same as Sonic. Anyways I had to modify the sprite.def in order to make a longer running animation for him, since I used a skating animation for Shadow, I put the extra sprites in the blank squares and put the order in the sprite.def.
But yes, I have a backup of the sprite.def untouched, but still I would have to modify it a bit since I can't work with png files, I had to save them in bmp otherwise i would see a magenta background behind them

EDIT: I just tried replacing the sprite.def with the default one and I still have the same problem sad there are extra pixels around the character in some of the sprites

AH! I know the problem. I had the same issue!

The problem is the picture itself. The sprites are overlapping. You're getting part of another sprite inside of the one that was supposed to be there. Make it smaller and touch it up a bit.

#12 2010-06-27 20:33:09

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

EDIT: I just tried replacing the sprite.def with the default one and I still have the same problem  there are extra pixels around the character in some of the sprites

The problem is the picture itself. The sprites are overlapping. You're getting part of another sprite inside of the one that was supposed to be there. Make it smaller and touch it up a bit.

O.o? I don't think so...not any sprite are overlapping each other, I made sure they matched Sonic and the blank squares when placing the skating animation

Untitled-1.png

See?

Last edited by Felicia_Val (2010-06-27 20:34:03)

#13 2010-06-27 20:37:10

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

EDIT: I just tried replacing the sprite.def with the default one and I still have the same problem  there are extra pixels around the character in some of the sprites

O.o? I don't think so...not any sprite are overlapping each other, I made sure they matched Sonic and the blank squares when placing the skating animation

Untitled-1.png

See?

The sprites themselves aren't. But the actual BOX THE SPRITE IS IN might. The box is BIGGER than the sprite. Change that magenta color to a different color temporarily, try the game and you can see the 'box' is much bigger than the sprite itself. And if it's near the edge of a certain animation, you know what to delete.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2010-06-27 20:38:31)

#14 2010-06-27 20:39:04

Felicia_Val

Oh that's what I thought. Let me try then.

EDIT: nope, that didn't work at all sad i still can see the same pixels in the same position...

Last edited by Felicia_Val (2010-06-27 20:41:40)

#15 2010-06-27 20:49:32

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:

Oh that's what I thought. Let me try then.

EDIT: nope, that didn't work at all sad i still can see the same pixels in the same position...

Are they on the edge?

EDIT: Let me take a look at it myself... hold on a minute.

#16 2010-06-27 20:51:04

Felicia_Val

Yes, I dont know, maybe I'm not getting what to do correctly because I'm not sure what I have to delete...:(

#17 2010-06-27 20:53:41

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:

Yes, I dont know, maybe I'm not getting what to do correctly because I'm not sure what I have to delete...:(

I mean that you should delete the pixels by coloring over the pixels with the magenta color once you find what is being placed wrong. I'll take a look at it, hold on a minute.

#18 2010-06-27 20:57:23

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

I mean that you should delete the pixels by coloring over the pixels with the magenta color once you find what is being placed wrong. I'll take a look at it, hold on a minute.

ah yes, that's what I did but still didn't work. Anyways I think do you need my sprite.def file since I replaced the running animation with the skating one, that one is even more glitchy than the jump and walk animations

#19 2010-06-27 20:57:49

SilverstepP

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Yep. They're definitely overlapping. Take your 'jumping animation', for example. There are pixels at the TOP edge. So, you must delete the bottom part of the shoes of the sprite above it (Or move the sprite one pixel up) to fix it. The Shadow character is larger than Sonic's character here, and you have to be extremely precise about where you put it.

EDIT: I can even tell without the sprite.def file, because it's either the exact same problem here or a typo in the sprite.def.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2010-06-27 21:01:45)

#20 2010-06-27 21:00:37

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

Yep. They're definitely overlapping. Take your 'jumping animation', for example. There are pixels at the TOP edge. So, you must delete the bottom part of the shoes of the sprite above it (Or move the sprite one pixel up) to fix it. The Shadow character is larger than Sonic's character here, and you have to be extremely precise about where you put it.

SilverstepP wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

trust me that's what I did and it didn't work T_T
Just in case you can fix it (cuz honestly i tried everything what you said and still i got it bad) i uploaded the files here
http://www.mediafire.com/?n1hm5immiwi

EDIT: there are no typos in the sprite.def. I double checked and everything is fine. I dunno what it's wrong anyways sad but you can check yourself anyways if you feel like doing it, if not then it's ok

Last edited by Felicia_Val (2010-06-27 21:02:57)

#21 2010-06-27 21:07:12

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

SilverstepP wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

trust me that's what I did and it didn't work T_T
Just in case you can fix it (cuz honestly i tried everything what you said and still i got it bad) i uploaded the files here
http://www.mediafire.com/?n1hm5immiwi

I'd suggest cutting the extra skating animations, and attempt to make it smoother in any way you can... I honestly don't suggest messing with the sprite.def file. (Trust me, I've tried to do it.)

Just move things around, pixel by pixel, try to figure out which animations have extra pixels, and check the sprites in the game afterwards. You'll piece it together eventually, just like I did.

#22 2010-06-27 21:10:22

Felicia_Val

nevermind then. Since I already did everything, I deleted, moved and cut and everything is still the same. Thanks anyways.

#23 2010-06-27 21:11:32

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:

nevermind then. Since I already did everything, I deleted, moved and cut and everything is still the same. Thanks anyways.

If you did, then maybe it's the sprite.def file.

#24 2010-06-27 21:15:09

Felicia_Val

SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

I have no idea, all I did was change the routine of the running animation, I just replaced the numbers with the positions of the skating animation. The movement works like counting, for example, standing sprite is 1, walking animation is 30, 31, 32, etc. The slots in the skating animation goes from 52 to 59 if you count from the last Sonic sprite. I dunno if that has to do something with the other sprites that are still glitching anyways

#25 2010-06-27 21:19:18

SilverstepP

Felicia_Val wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Felicia_Val wrote:

I have no idea, all I did was change the routine of the running animation, I just replaced the numbers with the positions of the skating animation. The movement works like counting, for example, standing sprite is 1, walking animation is 30, 31, 32, etc. The slots in the skating animation goes from 52 to 59 if you count from the last Sonic sprite. I dunno if that has to do something with the other sprites that are still glitching anyways

Well, I'm stumped. Move Shadow's 'dying' animations up one pixel in your image editing program. Try jumping, and see if it's fixed.

Oh, man! I think I just figured it out. Are you using transparency features in whatever image editor you're using? I might know the problem now.

Board footer