Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2010-06-18 18:38:15

SilverstepP

Hazy Harbor Revised acts 1 and 2 (+ Rocket Pads)

http://rapidshare.com/files/400457390/H … prings.zip

Here it is! This is a VERY unique level. There are effects put into place to make this seem like a 2-and-a-half-d stage, with you going closer and farther away from the screen (sort of). I figured out a way to make the harbor seem more 'Hazy' as well. This is also playable with all 3 characters.

This level is more fast-paced and straightforward than the other levels I have made, (Act 2 is more like a giant S, though) and act 1 has a few secrets in it. Act 2, however, given it's low difficulty level, has no special treasures quite yet.

The music is a remix of my old Hazy Harbor music, and a remix of Aqua Planet from Sonic Chaos (which turned out very well).

These levels were meant to see how fast you could blaze through them. Try beating my act 2 record of 31 seconds! (There is a major shortcut)

EDIT: Make that 30 seconds flat!

Also included are my rocket pads, their sound effect, and a custom bumper sound effect (which will come with a custom bumper, but not until I finish making ALL of the custom items).

PLEASE MAKE BACKUPS OF THE FILES YOU REPLACE THE PADS AND SFXS WITH!

The music is still protected under the Creative-Commons No-Derivative Works License. As I keep saying. Just don't mess with my music, please. I work HARD on it.

#2 2010-06-18 20:25:18

So-Nick

Re: Hazy Harbor Revised acts 1 and 2 (+ Rocket Pads)

good mudance

sonicknucklesemeraldsma.gif

#3 2010-06-18 20:35:56

SilverstepP

Nick the hedgehog wrote:

good mudance

...what?

#4 2010-06-19 11:47:37

So-Nick

SilverstepP wrote:
Nick the hedgehog wrote:

good mudance

...what?

VISUAL  MUDANCE wink

#5 2010-06-19 13:12:21

SilverstepP

Nick the hedgehog wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Nick the hedgehog wrote:

good mudance

...what?

VISUAL  MUDANCE wink

What? I have never heard of the word mudance...

Well, it's a compliment anyways, so thanks.

#6 2010-06-19 13:17:16

So-Nick

SilverstepP wrote:
Nick the hedgehog wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:

...what?

VISUAL  MUDANCE wink

OPS.. GOOD change,DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, Sorry
SPEAK PORTUGUESE: CHANGE=MUDANÇA

Last edited by So-Nick (2010-06-19 13:17:56)

#7 2010-06-19 15:49:26

SilverstepP

Nick the hedgehog wrote:
SilverstepP wrote:
Nick the hedgehog wrote:

VISUAL  MUDANCE wink

OPS.. GOOD change,DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH, Sorry
SPEAK PORTUGUESE: CHANGE=MUDANÇA

I know, that's what I figured. Thanks, though!

#8 2010-06-19 17:20:30

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

roll

anyway,

that's a very creative use of the game engine. It feels a bit blocky when I'm walking, but it's a creative idea. It proves that one may use the opensnc engine to create games with a slightly different style. Nice! cool

the level feels like "toxic city". Can you create slopes and loops in 2.5d ?

#9 2010-06-19 18:07:54

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

roll

anyway,

that's a very creative use of the game engine. It feels a bit blocky when I'm walking, but it's a creative idea. It proves that one may use the opensnc engine to create games with a slightly different style. Nice! cool

the level feels like "toxic city". Can you create slopes and loops in 2.5d ?

I haven't attempted it yet. However, I CAN smooth the walking out a bit. Act 2 is noticably smoother than act 1 if you walk. I can make it even smoother, if it needs to be. The reason it's so 'blocky' is because it's like running on stairs... I couldn't use angled bricks on the straightways, because then the characters would slide backwards for no good reason.

Making loops? That seems tough to do in 2.5d. I might make a future attempt, but for now, I will focus on act 3. It is a unique boss, to fit a unique level. I guess it's time to reveal my surprise villian (and storyline) for the game as well. Metal Sonic is who you are up against! And he's finally had it with Sonic constantly beating him. The boss will have Metal Sonic and one of the three characters running down a long path, filled with badniks. I wanted to attempt a 'pursuit' style boss, which is perfect for this level. It is very close to being finished. However, starting now, I will attempt to make the levels flow into one another. (Like how Velocity Volcano had you hit a blue spring, which supposedly sends you onto Metal Sonic's battleship)

How did the rocket pads work out, by the way? And what did you think of the sound effect?

#10 2010-06-19 20:45:06

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Have you made the spring sound effect or is it ripped/edited ?

#11 2010-06-19 21:06:34

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

Have you made the spring sound effect or is it ripped/edited ?

It is edited. However, it was edited by myself, and it is the only one of it's kind... I didn't just pull it off a website. (So, I MADE an EDIT, I guess...) tongue

Honestly questioning... are sound effects in games copyrighted (or remixing them)? I've heard several sound effects that are used in multiple games that have nothing to do with eachother.

However, the bumper sound effect included is made by me entirely.

#12 2010-06-20 00:18:58

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I'm no audio expert, but I believe these "sound effects that are used in multiple games" are bought from independent producers and used by game studios in their projects. This approach reduces the costs of game studios, as sound production costs are held by independent sources.

[offtopic]As for our game in particular, we can't adopt the same approach nor pay someone to create the sound effects because this is a non-profit project. Announcing an open team position for a sound effects designer isn't going anywhere either (there has been very few interested people, and nobody showed commitment). At this very moment I see two solutions: I can hunt some free (as in freedom) sounds on the net and/or I can take some time to learn how to make my own samples. However, since I'm the programmer (as programming is my main skill), and considering that I only work on this game during my free time, taking care of sounds would inevitably slow down the development of the game engine, hence delaying progress. Anyway, this will issue have to wait until July.[/offtopic]

#13 2010-06-20 01:09:49

SilverstepP

Alexandre wrote:

I'm no audio expert, but I believe these "sound effects that are used in multiple games" are bought from independent producers and used by game studios in their projects. This approach reduces the costs of game studios, as sound production costs are held by independent sources.

[offtopic]As for our game in particular, we can't adopt the same approach nor pay someone to create the sound effects because this is a non-profit project. Announcing an open team position for a sound effects designer isn't going anywhere either (there has been very few interested people, and nobody showed commitment). At this very moment I see two solutions: I can hunt some free (as in freedom) sounds on the net and/or I can take some time to learn how to make my own samples. However, since I'm the programmer (as programming is my main skill), and considering that I only work on this game during my free time, taking care of sounds would inevitably slow down the development of the game engine, hence delaying progress. Anyway, this will issue have to wait until July.[/offtopic]

I think it should wait even longer... we should worry about getting the main stuff done first (especially replacing the characters, designing the stages, finishing the engine...)

Well, I've got act 3 nearly done, and Arsenal Airway finally has music, a brickset (With a smooth loop!), and a rough design. I'm just going to say this... if you thought my OTHER levels were hard... You will have a fit. I'm actually trying to make it difficult this time.

This level is already diabolical (in both design and the art of the level itself). But it has rings this time.

Luckily, a convenient one-up box is placed near the beginning... you're going to need it!

Tails is going to get the spotlight this time, as promised...

Board footer