A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2009-02-22 19:47:28

wazaabee

opensonic in LUA

Hello, excuse me for my bad english,

I'm not develloper but some body's trying to make an opensonic for PSP in LUA language. I would like to helt them and I try to have the maps and graphics but i don't know how to extract them of the source code.

Is somebody can help us to have it ?

#2 2009-02-22 20:31:31

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: opensonic in LUA

Hello wazaabee and welcome to the forums smile

I'm not sure how LUA can help you in this task, but anyway, there is an Allegro PSP port at http://diedel.blogcindario.com/ ( see here ) .

About the graphics, maps and other resources, you can find them in their respective folders. As of Open Sonic 0.1.1 we have: config/, images/, levels/, musics/, quests/, samples/ and themes/. There are also other folders: gui/, licenses/ and screenshots/, but these do not hold game-specific resources.

A level is *not* only composed by a .lev file. There are other files as well: images, themes, backgrounds, musics, etc.

#3 2009-02-22 20:44:25

wazaabee

Ok thank you really Alexandre !

As I'm not able to do this work by myself, I can't say if it's better using C or LUA. Thank you for the informations. Do you know if it's possible using maps in C directly in a code in LUA ?? Is it forced to rewrite all ??

In all case, Opensonic is a great project, a great work !!!!!

#4 2009-02-22 22:44:07

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Thank you for your comments smile

Open Sonic doesn't use LUA anywhere in the code. I don't understand why you would want to use LUA in a port at all. Could you please explain in details?

The maps (levels *.lev) of the game are not part of the source code. They are separate files that the game engine reads and stores in the memory (see level_load() at src/level.c).

#5 2009-02-23 14:59:11

wazaabee

In fact, I see your project on your site and I'm a sonic fan and a psp fan. But I'm not a programmer, i'm not be able to do this port. So I speak about this on a psp forum and some devellopers are agree to do this, but in LUA.

If some body want to do this with Allegro for psp for this port it should be great !!

#6 2009-04-10 13:51:10

MK2k

wazaabee: the "developers" you have been talking to don't seem to be very experienced.
Alexandre: LUA is very popular in the PSP homebrew scene amongst newbie coders.

#7 2009-04-11 19:00:50

Celdecea

MK2k wrote:

wazaabee: the "developers" you have been talking to don't seem to be very experienced.
Alexandre: LUA is very popular in the PSP homebrew scene amongst newbie coders.

Hi, MK2k.  I'm not an OpenSonic developer, but just out of curiosity why so contemptuous?  I know of your work and I think Alexandre asked an honest question.  You yourself are actually in a position to make what wazaabee wants happen.

Developers should be teaming up more but instead we just worry about which of us is better!  Sheesh!  Well my shoe size is 11 American, so boo yah! cool

----

Alexandre, by now you know there is a game engine using Lua in place that's fairly easily modified and is portable across Windows/Linux/Mac/PSP.   By "porting the game", I am sure they are just meaning the logic and graphics, not the code.  If that is the case, then many people can do the port but just need to find the time and effort (so called "tuits", round ones at that).  smile

wazaabee, if anybody in your forums is serious about the Lua port then I am sure their questions would be welcome here.  I have worked with Lua myself outside of actually embedding it so I can be a little helpful.

I don't have a PSP though, but I don't think the wife will object to one...

Last edited by Celdecea (2009-04-11 19:02:04)

#8 2009-04-12 11:13:56

MK2k

If actual facts sound contemptuous then sorry for that. And if someone thinks that LUA is the answer to anything then it's time to tell the facts smile

However, I'm not on here if I wouldn't be actually working on "something" wink

Board footer