Topic: [WORK POSITION] SFX designer

Do you want to contribute to the development of the game? We have 1 open work position for a SFX designer.

Work description:
Creates the sound effects used in the game. Please take a look at our TODO List.

Note: the SFX currently used in the game are ripped, and we must replace them by original user-made content as well.

See also: Work Positions | Game Design Document | TODO Sound Effects.

Requirements:

• You must be able to create retro-style sound effects

How to apply:
Please send an e-mail to alemartf(at)gmail.com or answer to this thread. It's a good idea to show us one or more pieces of work you've made in the past.

Re: [WORK POSITION] SFX designer

You've seen  JBM Zonique, and some has seen my first synth for Sonic sound effects. I am working on a third synth to generate those bleepy sounds to get the sound creation tools as complete as possible. Once this tool has been designed then I'm willing to take on the task as a sound designer.

Just some more info: Yesterday I discovered how to mimic the classic arcade game noise that systems like C64, NES, Master System and even Genesis utilizes. Good for mimicing gun shots, crowds etc etc. This has got me doing an instrument that can create certain 8bit sounds that Sonic utilizes. Once done I'll post it in a new topic.

Last edited by jobromedia (2010-05-30 05:58:09)

jobromedia wrote:

You've seen  JBM Zonique, and some has seen my first synth for Sonic sound effects. I am working on a third synth to generate those bleepy sounds to get the sound creation tools as complete as possible. Once this tool has been designed then I'm willing to take on the task as a sound designer.

Just some more info: Yesterday I discovered how to mimic the classic arcade game noise that systems like C64, NES, Master System and even Genesis utilizes. Good for mimicing gun shots, crowds etc etc. This has got me doing an instrument that can create certain 8bit sounds that Sonic utilizes. Once done I'll post it in a new topic.

Hello JobroMedia, i hope this helps you:

Any synth capable of creating square waves, triangle waves and white noise can mimic retro 8-bit sound (nes, master system, game gear, C64 and more) with the right tweaks on the right dials. using envelopes for pitch and volume control is also a good idea, even though it's not 100% "retro", since earlier sound chips based on "pure" waves didn't have many bits to control wave amplitude (commonly known as volume). they usually had 4 bits for volume control on each channel (16 different volume levels). you can always lower the bit depht after the sound is generated and/or processed.
however, Mega Drive (a.k.a. Genesis in The US), had FM Synthesis, which not only allowed for pure waves, but also allowed more complex waves by modulating the pure waves to create new ones.

i truly hope your synths are freeware and VST compatible, since i'm anxious to give them a test drive big_smile

oh and umm..., i know Alexandre hasn't made this official yet (maybe because he doesn't know if i'll stick around to the end, which is understandable), but i'm working on the sfx design, and i must say your Zonique plugin looks awesome (and i hope it sounds the same, since i haven't tested it yet). if it proves useful, i'll be sure and happy to credit you. We can even team up, if you like and the project's heads don't mind.
i've been using some FL Studio factory plugins such as the 3xosc with only squares, tri's and white noise, the ts404 with the same shapes, Sytrus, a subtractive FM synth, and the awesome unknown 64 CM, bundled with the Computer Music Magazine, which generates accurate C64 sounds, and is the one i use the most. if your plugin/plugins can simplify this to one or two VST's, my good friend, you're a genius and should be part of the team for sure!

my best regards to all!

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Thank you. The position has been filled. smile

i wish i could come to this page before you give the job to other. i think who has been given the work is really happy. anyway thank you.

rockstar9840 wrote:

i wish i could come to this page before you give the job to other. i think who has been given the work is really happy. anyway thank you.

Welcome, rockstar9840. smile

This thread is from March. Recently we dropped this fixed way to create content in favor of a more community-driven approach, where any person can contribute.

If you're interested in contributing, please take a look at http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … php?id=531