Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2009-02-13 23:58:58

redkey73

Compilation of OpenSonic in Ubuntu 8.10

I wanted to report my experience compiling the source code for OpenSonic on the current Ubuntu release (8.10 Intrepid Ibex).  I ran into a small issue but I have a workaround for it.

I followed the instructions in readme.html, and they almost worked right "out-of-the-box".  Upon issuing the 'make' command, an error was reported that said something along the lines of `allegro-config: no such file or directory.  I think it might have to do with processing of the left-quote character by 'make', but I don't know how 'make' does its magic, so it's really just a guess.

Anyway, my workaround was to open CMakeFiles/opensonic.dir/link.txt (and later, CMakeFiles/opensonic_launcher.dir/link.txt) and replace

`allegro-config --libs`

by the command that the allegro-config script generates with the --libs flag on my system; in my case, it turns out to be

-L/usr/lib -Wl -Bsymbolic-functions -lalleg-4.2.2

If you can think of something I should have done differently, I'd be interested to know.  Otherwise, I'm happy to report a copy of OpenSonic built and running properly on Ubuntu 8.10.

A note to anyone compiling on Ubuntu: as far as I can tell, AllegroPNG is not available through Synaptic, so you'll have to download and install it separately.  Also, my installation of DUMB through Synaptic did not work, so I also downloaded and installed it manually (this may not have been necessary, but I couldn't get OpenSonic's 'make' scheme to recognize my Synaptic install of DUMB).

#2 2009-02-14 00:56:32

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: Compilation of OpenSonic in Ubuntu 8.10

Nice to see you compiled the game big_smile

allegro-config is a script (usually located on /usr/bin) that helps to compile things. I don't know if it's in your $PATH, but if it's not, I recommend that you compile Allegro yourself (or add it manually). On my system, allegro-config --libs returns:

username@pcname:~$ allegro-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -Wl,--export-dynamic -lalleg-4.2.2 -lalleg_unsharable

I run Ubuntu 8.04 on my notebook.

Board footer