Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2018-08-15 10:55:50

G.E.R.

[mod] Sonic 3 Competition Plus new game

I want to propose a new version of mod "Sonic 3 Competition".
Download link

S3C_screen1_130818.png

Level maps

DESCRIPTION OF THE WORK PERFORMED:
I redesigned all levels and now they maximally correspond to the original levels from Sonic-3, with original objects (springs-trap + button, sands in DPZ, etc.). All levels have been modified and expanded, CGZ-2 has been redesigned totally. Also, I created two new hidden levels. Redesigned Tutorial level for maximum usefulness. Also, there were added two acts of Genocide City.
Special Stages and three bonus rooms was added, too. A rotating colored circle is a portal to the bonus.
I fixed bugs from angles of bricks and some objects, added many new objects (gaming and technical) and reworked the enemy scenarios and bricksets. There are 2 levels with a looping system and looping traps, but if you don't find a way out from the looping traps, the game will give hints after several loops.
There are two new shields - mechanical shield (protecting from gears and other dangerous mechanisms, it is the acid shield in the engine) and sand shield (for opening special sand-doors, it also protects from sand in DPZ). The system of checkpoints and ranking of characters was carefully thought out. The warp to Special Stage means unloading of the current level and I realised a system of restoring rings, player positions and removing used Special Ring from the level. All levels, objets and scenarios was tested many times.

The information about game:
There are 5 main zones (Azure Lake, Balloon Park, Chrome Gadget, Desert Palace, Endless Mine) from Sonic-3 competition levels, every zone include 3 acts. Act 1 is remake of original level with original bricks and objects, Act 2 is a linear level, too, but it may be required the use of all characters for passing of a level. Every level has a secret places, bonuses, traps and an easter eggs. Also, there are one big red-star ring on every level. Try to find it.
Act 3 is little linear level with boss-arena. The character, who finished Act 2, will be battle with the boss.

Genocide City is the additional zone, you can play it if you collected 7 Emeralds in Special Stages. The other method to play it: start ALZ-1, switch on Tails and fly up (a warp object is paced in the air at the beginning act)
S3C_screen2_130818.png

Also, there are 2 hidden levels on the game (the warp-objects to hidden levels is placed in some Acts 2). You find the hidden level with Tails' airplaine.
S3C_screen3_130818.png

Special Stages is a small level, where you should to collect rings for opening doors and find the emerald. There are time limited.
Bonus rooms has a falling balls with bonuses (or anti-bonuses). Note - the ball with the shield will be counted only after attack it.

I recommend start playing from Tutorial level.

Abilities and gameplay.
Tails can fly (singly or with the parthner) and swin (only singly), but control in this game differs from control in original Sonic's games. Press SPACE button once to take off and press it again to land. Tails flying during 10 sec and swimming during 30 sec. If he swim, he does not require air bubbles (he don't die).

Knuckles can plane, climbing, and destroy some bricks. This control similar controls from original games.
The wall destroying is released as hidden object, which make Knuckles rolling.

When Tails or Knuckles uses their abilities, they are invulnerable for the enemies (because the engine processes the script in the process of jumping).

For modders, I commented all my scripts and upload PSF-files of images - https://yadi.sk/d/dG305MOO3aCvGf
You can use it at own discretion and without restrictions.

Last edited by G.E.R. (2019-01-09 09:19:53)

#2 2018-08-15 13:47:30

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: [mod] Sonic 3 Competition Plus new game

Hey G.E.R., this seems like a great work. I'll play and give you feedback.

Have you considered sending your project to gaming sites?

#3 2018-08-22 14:39:37

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Hey G.E.R., here's some feedback:

First, congratulations for the work you've done smile It's a fun game that I found to be entertaining.

You have a very nice bonus mechanic that you implemented some time ago. As far as I remember, it's the first MOD that seriously implements bonuses, with emeralds, scores and so on.

In the special stages, you have balloons like +10sec and -10sec. These things are written on the sprites. Since the action happens fast, a balloon like "-10sec" is very misleading, because you can't perceive it clearly while playing (as you can't read clearly). My suggestion would be to either take it off, or replace the color of the sprite by a different one that can be readily perceived.

I noticed that you painted the area of some of your bricks (e.g.: grass bricks in Azure Lake), so they don't get to be too irregular. I believe you did this to improve collisions? Even on the legacy version of Open Surge, which you're using, you can use collision masks to improve collisions without changing the visuals. I mentioned in other thread how you can use collision masks on the legacy version of the engine.

You have developed some bosses, and it's fun to battle them. Congratulations for the nice work! wink I also noticed that Tails can hit a boss when flying.

You mentioned that "When Tails or Knuckles uses their abilities, they are invulnerable for the enemies". Would it help if you used springfy_player?

In Balloon Park Zone Act 2, there's a very obvious shortcut that allows one to clear the level in just a few seconds. The end flag is near the starting point of the level, separated by a wall. Use Tails to fly above the wall and bam, level cleared cool

In terms of performance, I suggest disabling antialiasing on the font used throughout the tutorial level.

Keep it up, nice work wink

#4 2018-08-24 06:52:49

G.E.R.

Alexandre, thenk you for you feedback!
I familiarized with the bugs described by you and fixed it.
The "-10 sec." ball is was introduced for fun, player see the time-ball and think that he must get it, and after several secounds - "oops...". In the same time, this balls were placed in those places, where a large amount of time is leeway forecasted and it balls would not have led to level loss.

#5 2018-10-12 20:01:50

CrazyPencilDawg

Cool! I downloaded it already and it is AWESOME! smile

Touhou fan who is currently working on a game about a blue cartoon rat and a game about mildly-infuriated plastic balls.

#6 2021-07-09 22:43:20

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

I am reuploading this game for the purpose of historical preservation.

Title: Sonic 3 Competition by G.E.R.
Made with: early Open Surge 0.2.0 (custom build)
Year: 2018

Download game
Download S3Cmaps.rar
Download S3C_PSF_files.rar

Board footer