Open Surge Forum

A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2016-01-05 15:39:49

aronthehedgehog

New Things i'd like to ask

So a question i want to ask, is it possible that you can have a dialogue box that allows you to type in it while inside of the engine?
Because i want to ask about that when you start a new game, you can enter your name or something. Or could it be possible at a later update?

And another thing is, that i've seen what KZR did with Shinobi, is a save file. Is it possible that you can make a save file, using the name that you entered using the thing that i asked above, and would it make it easier to keep track of gameplay?
But another problem i also see that you need to use "Global Variables", and so can this all be possible?

Not active much anymore.
The only things I do now is just let inspiration come to me when it's needed.
Also bad profile pic because I don't have anything else in mind.

#2 2016-01-06 04:05:51

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Re: New Things i'd like to ask

aronthehedgehog wrote:

So a question i want to ask, is it possible that you can have a dialogue box that allows you to type in it while inside of the engine?
Because i want to ask about that when you start a new game, you can enter your name or something. Or could it be possible at a later update?

Yes. Open Surge uses a gamepad-like input system, but you can simulate a keyboard using multiple input maps. You may make an object handle such keyboard input for you.

aronthehedgehog wrote:

And another thing is, that i've seen what KZR did with Shinobi, is a save file. Is it possible that you can make a save file, using the name that you entered using the thing that i asked above, and would it make it easier to keep track of gameplay?
But another problem i also see that you need to use "Global Variables", and so can this all be possible?

You have to ask him how he did it, but it's possible that it's got something to do with save_level. This routine allows you to save data to the computer.

#3 2016-01-06 14:43:28

aronthehedgehog

Re: New Things i'd like to ask

Alexandre wrote:

Yes. Open Surge uses a gamepad-like input system, but you can simulate a keyboard using multiple input maps. You may make an object handle such keyboard input for you.

You have to ask him how he did it, but it's possible that it's got something to do with save_level. This routine allows you to save data to the computer.

So the save level, using that option. So then it should do something... Oh i kinda see what he did, other than that... But can you have more than 30 inputs on the inputmap? Or is it only 8? But i might be able to manage it, i'll come back later with some questions.

Not active much anymore.
The only things I do now is just let inspiration come to me when it's needed.
Also bad profile pic because I don't have anything else in mind.

Board footer