Topic: Open Surge - Status?

It's been more than a year since the last source code revision. Is Open Surge really moving forward? Something was said about the Allegro 5 port being in the works, but nothing new was said ever since. Is Open Surge dead or just taking a long rest until Alexandre gets some time off? I worry that this promising project might be left abandoned due to lack of motivation from its creator, and the community in general.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

The project is going a bit slow now in my point of view. Alexandre said that he's finishing university... I think changes will be delayed until he finishes.

But in my opinion one big problem with the game is the bad (nearly non existant) marketing. If you want, I offer myself to do something with that and attract new people. We really need fresh ideas and collaborators.

I also think this is the best Sonic-like game engine SO FAR. I would be so dissapointed if the development stops. I would contribute with the programming but after seeing the awesome, pretty, well organized code of Alexandre I think is not a good idea xD I'm not so skilled.

Piece of cake...!

Re: Open Surge - Status?

I have just finished university. With a Masters in Computer Science. cool see my project here.

I'm now settling up some things at work, so that I also get some free time to work on Open Surge. My main goal is to port the engine to Android and release a first version of the game as soon as possible. Then we can work on proper marketing.

Re: Open Surge - Status?

I was just going to make a thread asking about this, but I noticed this one first. I only discovered the project yesterday, and quickly looked to see what's new in the development. I was a bit worried to notice that the project looks pretty dead. Glad to hear that's not the case... I really hope to see things becoming more lively!

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Alexandre, is the engine as we know it, going to get something new? I mean are you just porting to Android, or in the process also improving the PC version?

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

yes, there will be improvements to the PC version also.

Re: Open Surge - Status?

When can we expect to see the first changes/improvements?

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

I have to say, I'm very excited to get back to work on this project!
A lot has happened to me in those three years, my art has grown so much. Looking back there is so much that I want to remake it, but first comes the priority! big_smile
I can't wait for everyone to get in their places and come back to produce as if it were 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/owCSOft.png

PunBB bbcode test
Creating and Editing Sprites.

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Race the Hedgehog wrote:

I have to say, I'm very excited to get back to work on this project!
A lot has happened to me in those three years, my art has grown so much. Looking back there is so much that I want to remake it, but first comes the priority! big_smile
I can't wait for everyone to get in their places and come back to produce as if it were 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/owCSOft.png

Nice! WB... lol

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Congrats to your  computer science master! You truly deserve it mate!

Re: Open Surge - Status?

KZR wrote:

When can we expect to see the first changes/improvements?

Soon. tongue

jobromedia wrote:

Congrats to your  computer science master! You truly deserve it mate!

thanks, dude! smile

Race the Hedgehog wrote:

I have to say, I'm very excited to get back to work on this project!
A lot has happened to me in those three years, my art has grown so much. Looking back there is so much that I want to remake it, but first comes the priority! big_smile
I can't wait for everyone to get in their places and come back to produce as if it were 2012.

http://i.imgur.com/owCSOft.png

Your skills have certainly improved.

As you're excited about the art, what do you thinking about working both on the sprites and on the level art? I can even pay you a little bit. smile

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Alexandre wrote:

yes, there will be improvements to the PC version also.

Please, improved level editor... please, improved level editor... please, improved level editor... tongue

Piece of cake...!

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Alexandre wrote:

Your skills have certainly improved.

As you're excited about the art, what do you thinking about working both on the sprites and on the level art? I can even pay you a little bit. smile

Sure thing! smile
I'm actually working on a mockup of what could be a possible new direction in the artstyle, trying to keep the same feel of the original.

PunBB bbcode test
Creating and Editing Sprites.

14

Re: Open Surge - Status?

TheSeventhEmerald wrote:
Alexandre wrote:

yes, there will be improvements to the PC version also.

Please, improved level editor... please, improved level editor... please, improved level editor...


Could I help mocking up and planning an improved level editor? I've been trying so many engines, I think that a better level editor would be a great starting point to make the community more active and also to make it easier to add content to the game.

Maybe even integrate the loose tools for bricksets and sprites in the editor, as a later update. Look at Platfinity, a game from a friend of mine. It lets you edit all about the game inside the game

http://www.platfinity.com/

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

At least you could do some tryouts and post them in a separate topic, then let people vote for what they think is the nicest layout.

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Yes please, let's do a different topic for that.

I was going to propose, after a level editor improvement, to implement tools similar to mine to the game, so you can easily create EVERYTHING. That's will help us to create the content big_smile

Another idea would be to have "Open Surge" (the game itself, probably with the actual level editor for quick edits) and the "Open Surge Editor" (with all tools for creating sprites, backgrounds, and an improved level editor) as different tools.

Piece of cake...!

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Race the Hedgehog wrote:

Sure thing! smile
I'm actually working on a mockup of what could be a possible new direction in the artstyle, trying to keep the same feel of the original.

That is awesome. Can we see a preview of that?

KZR wrote:

Could I help mocking up and planning an improved level editor? I've been trying so many engines, I think that a better level editor would be a great starting point to make the community more active and also to make it easier to add content to the game.

Please do so smile, but if I may suggest, in a first moment it would be beneficial to focus on the usability issues of the current editor rather than on improvements and new features. Once we understand clearly and reach a consensus as of what are the main usability problems today, we can come up with better designs. That said, I will certainly support your mockups and your efforts in the direction of an improved level editor.

18

Re: Open Surge - Status?

I believe we all agree, the main usability issue is the navigation through items/bricks/objects. Like said on the other topic, if we had some sort of selection screen, instead of going through all one by one, that would save the level designers a lot of time.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

KZR wrote:

I believe we all agree, the main usability issue is the navigation through items/bricks/objects. Like said on the other topic, if we had some sort of selection screen, instead of going through all one by one, that would save the level designers a lot of time.

I agree with that too.

www.facebook.com/24XFSAL  Hasn't been updated anytime recently, don't bother.
I'm on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rain-new-holy - I plan to upload one soon.
Name change from 24XFSAL coming soon. Currently studying for Information Technology and Game development. (Also studying game theory in spare time.)

20

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Bump roll

What's up? I miss working with this engine ^_^

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

KZR wrote:

Bump roll

What's up? I miss working with this engine ^_^

I've been working on improving our scripting language.

Re: Open Surge - Status?

nice! big_smile

23

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Alexandre wrote:

I've been working on improving our scripting language.

Sounds interesting. Any specifics?

Also, how's the A5 port going?

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Re: Open Surge - Status?

Yes, it is very nice. Will be much more powerful. smile

The A5 port will be done too, though is postponed 'til a bit later.

25

Re: Open Surge - Status?

I'm eager to try. Any chance you will add some of my hacks as optional features?

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png