Topic: Level editor

Could you post the level desgin especfications so that I could try and make a level editor using some RAD editor?

Re: Level editor

Neoblast wrote:

Could you post the level desgin especfications so that I could try and make a level editor using some RAD editor?

I will write all the theory in the level editor tutorials, but this should take a few days.

Okey, just let me know when it's done.
Also in order to get more performance it would be better to make the map format in binary instead of text. There a lot of editors that work that way.
Tile Studio pro is quite customisable and could be edited to make this levels.

Open Sonic is not tile-based.

Neoblast wrote:

Also in order to get more performance it would be better to make the map format in binary instead of text. There a lot of editors that work that way.

hmm, that's not true. The map format has already good performance because the level files are pretty small (20 KB average) and the read processing is very fast (the map entities just need to be read once, and then all the data goes into the memory). In fact, reading a map file is (much) faster than rendering the screen for example. smile

Also, this map format is easily extensible because one can add new "instructions" and new parameters to existing "instructions" without breaking any compatibility. The binary format has the advantage that level files could be even smaller, but it would be hard/painful to keep compatibility on the future. I though about this issue when I started the project and I chose the current map format. Nowadays, 20KB is nothing.