Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2013-07-15 15:13:54

S32X
Website

Modified Version of the Engine

Yes it has been a while...

Hello everyone, I'm alive! tongue
I came to ask a favour. I don't know much to nothing about the source code of the Engine, so I need someone to do the following for me:

-Make players unable to destroy enemies just by jumping
-Remove the feature that makes player lose all of their rings/health
-Add a feature for an animation when the player is falling rather than using the running animation

Also, I need to know how to make a projectile shot by the player move the direction the player is facing, I think I can do this using 'player_direction()' though I think if the player turns around the object will the move the opposite direction it was originally going in since the player's direction has changed.

Thanks, Technoid Sigma

#2 2013-07-15 17:59:41

aronthehedgehog

Re: Modified Version of the Engine

open the object companion and enter a new object i:e...

create_child ".example_strong_controller"

then...

object ".example_companion"
{
    requires 0.2.0
    always_active

state "main"
    {
        create_child ".example_spindash_controller"
        create_child ".example_strong_controller"
                                       /\
                                        |
                                        |
                     (enter here) 
        create_child ".example_nolightwalk_controller"
        create_child ".example_rings_controller"
        destroy
    }
}

after words just make that new object state then enter...

object ".example_strong_controller"
{
    requires 0.2.0
    always_active

state "main"
    {
        Hide
        Strong_player
        observe_player "example"
        change_state "stand by"
    }

state "stand by"
    {
        Strong_player
               /\
                |
                |
           (enter this)
        Change_state "main"

}

}

see...

Not active much anymore.
The only things I do now is just let inspiration come to me when it's needed.
Also bad profile pic because I don't have anything else in mind.

#3 2013-07-15 18:50:08

aronthehedgehog

Also, I need to know how to make a projectile shot by the player move the direction the player is facing, I think I can do this using 'player_direction()' though I think if the player turns around the object will the move the opposite direction it was originally going in since the player's direction has changed.

well if it changes direction then it will miss if you mess up did you just try making individual object rather then doing that?.

-Add a feature for an animation when the player is falling rather than using the running animation?

just open the companion in the and type "

".example_this_controller"
     requires 0.2.0
     always_active

state "main"
{
if_player_in_the_air "fall"
change_state "main"
}

state "fall"
{
        set_player_animation "example" 0 (any sprite)
        on_floor_collision "whatever"
        change_state "fall"
}

state "whatever"
       set_player_animation "example" 0 (any sprite)

see.

Last edited by aronthehedgehog (2013-07-15 19:01:07)

Not active much anymore.

#4 2013-07-15 21:13:03

S32X
Website

To your first post:

I need something that makes the Engine not activate what the same attributes of "strong_player" are when the player jumps (in basic terms "The Engine's version of 'strong_player'), which is something scripting can't do since the Engine would override it, same goes for doing "on_player_fall" "this", then setting an animation for when the player falls, this wouldn't work; I've tried doing it before.

Second Post:

I don't see how this would make a projectile that ejects out of the player become 'locked' in that direction the player was facing even if the player turned around. If it was just 'player_direction()' the projectile would still remember what way the player was facing even after it was thrown, thus move the opposite direction if the player turned around.

I appreciate your help, but it doesn't... well... help. hmm

Last edited by S32X (2013-07-15 21:13:48)

#5 2013-07-15 22:45:09

aronthehedgehog

tried my best but one thing for me i have to do something else but... whatever just keep trying.
smile

Last edited by aronthehedgehog (2013-07-15 22:45:26)

Not active much anymore.

#6 2013-07-19 20:49:11

S32X
Website

I think I have a way to work around the jumping thing, so that's not a problem.

However for the health thing, hey KZR. Didn't you make a hack of the Engine that allowed players to not lose all of their rings when they got hit?

Last edited by S32X (2013-07-19 20:49:24)

#7 2013-07-20 22:20:24

lunarrush

S32X wrote:

However for the health thing, hey KZR. Didn't you make a hack of the Engine that allowed players to not lose all of their rings when they got hit?

Well, as far as that hack goes it is because we overrode a few of the behaviors you find in the main engine, you are always free to look into the source code of the combat system in there and see how we ended up doing it.  Basically what happened in version 0.3 of Shinobi Densetsu and later is I wrote a prototype combat system, we completely did away with engine enemy detection, and we used enemy states to figure out how to damage the player.  This actually kills two birds with one stone for you if you want to take the time to adapt my original combat system concept I would suggest downloading that version of the game and figuring out what I did, its in a system called fracture combat system.

Also, there is an override for the engine's 'strong player', simply springify your player every time they jump.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#8 2013-07-21 05:10:01

S32X
Website

lunarrush wrote:

Well, as far as that hack goes it is because we overrode a few of the behaviors you find in the main engine, you are always free to look into the source code of the combat system in there and see how we ended up doing it.  Basically what happened in version 0.3 of Shinobi Densetsu and later is I wrote a prototype combat system, we completely did away with engine enemy detection, and we used enemy states to figure out how to damage the player.  This actually kills two birds with one stone for you if you want to take the time to adapt my original combat system concept I would suggest downloading that version of the game and figuring out what I did, its in a system called fracture combat system.

Well as far as that goes I don't think the time or patience/interest to figure that out. Plus even if I did manage to do that, I would have no way of compiling it.

S32X wrote:

In Shinobi Densetsu you did exactly what I'm trying to accomplish, could you tell me where to look in Version 0.3 so I can figure out how to do this?

#9 2013-07-21 10:41:35

lunarrush

It is actually several files...here are the important ones to actual system operation:

objects/default_startup/combat.inc
objects/default_startup/player_sensor.inc
objects/enemies/ENEMY_Green_Ninja.inc
objects/hud/hud_base.inc
objects/hud/menu.inc
objects/weapons/michio_sword.inc

Those are the important ones for the base if I'm remembering properly...

S32X wrote:

Well as far as that goes I don't think the time or patience/interest to figure that out. Plus even if I did manage to do that, I would have no way of compiling it.

Yes, you would, the nanoparser compiles what I was referring to.  The files above are the base system as it was adapted to SD.  I also have a zip of my original files...but I can't make any promises about how well it will work as it took several weeks of adapting for 0.3 to be able to use it right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/225 … combat.zip

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#10 2013-07-24 04:43:14

S32X
Website

lunarrush wrote:

Yes, you would, the nanoparser compiles what I was referring to.

I thought this was something in the source code itself (raw data of the Engine), not this. (Or maybe it was... hmm ) Anyway, if their just .inc files then I can study off of them, since I understand the object scripting system.

#11 2013-07-30 15:12:44

jobromedia
Website

Hey there! Game assets is for finished assets only. Questions about game assets still belongs in the general forum, so I'm moving this topic there.

#12 2013-08-01 13:12:17

S32X
Website

jobromedia wrote:

Hey there! Game assets is for finished assets only. Questions about game assets still belongs in the general forum, so I'm moving this topic there.

Okay; I wasn't really sure where to put a topic like this, Game Assets seemed like a good idea at the time. *shrugs*

Board footer