Topic: The other coop play (feature request)

Hello. When I think coop in a sonic-esque game, I tend to think sonic+tails in s3k or sonic 2. Your idea of coop is closer to Sonic Heroes. While I don't necessarily want your "coop" removed, I would like it if you guys

1. clarified "coop" to refer to Sonic Heroes style play.
2. add "multiplayer coop" like I was referring to earlier.
3. If you decide to implement #2, give an option of s3k style coop or split screen.

Once again, you don't have to do these things, but I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Re: The other coop play (feature request)

Sorry, but BB code is not allowed in the titles. Edited it to clearify your topic a bit.

There is a script called "Follow the player", which forces the other characters to follow the player around.

The lovely thing about this engine is you can implement whatever kind of co-op you want to implement using the scripting language, if you want help implementing follow the leader style co-op I'd suggest you start by looking through what you want it to do and designing an implementation that does precisely what you want it to do.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

I wasn't just thinking "follow the leader". I was thinking "2 players controlling at once". Notice that if you have 2p port connected in s3k, you could control tails. That was what I was thinking of. If it can be scripted, I would imagine that it would be harder to program. Especially if I want to be able to configure the second or third player's controls.

Danfun64 wrote:

I wasn't just thinking "follow the leader". I was thinking "2 players controlling at once". Notice that if you have 2p port connected in s3k, you could control tails. That was what I was thinking of. If it can be scripted, I would imagine that it would be harder to program. Especially if I want to be able to configure the second or third player's controls.

I think KZR made a hack of one of the Bleeding-edges that had two separate input maps for each player to control. That's probably the closest thing we've ever gotten to that sort of game-play.

Danfun64 wrote:

hello Danfun64, and welcome to the forums smile

I don't know if you're new to the engine or not (see Introduction to Modding), but you'll need to study the basics of scripting. I think what you're looking for is set_player_inputmap. Try it out. smile

One more thing:

I'm not  sure what the age audience of this game is supposed to be, but if it's the same as the classic sonic games (family friendly), I would appreciate it if the line "shhhhht! Nobody is supposed to see me in this game!" had the first word changed to either "shhhhhh!", "shoot!" or "crap!".

Thanks in advance.

Delving into the secondary request:
"shhhht!" is not a bad word, and we are aiming for a bit older audience to begin with.  After all, sonic nowadays is more about the latest 3D gimmick, we're going for more of a puzzle/nostalgic 2D sonic-like game as far as I've been able to determine(please let me know if I'm wrong there).   Also, the lovely thing about real bad words is that they convey a universal meaning.  Therefore, used correctly, bad words are a fantastic form of conveying your message.  However, attempting to censor things like "shhhht!" tells me that you may be of the censor police variety, so please tell me what is so bad about him attempting to get the user to be quiet about where he is?  Sorry if I seem very anti-censorship, but I have friends who were sheltered from everything above 't' rating for much of their lives and I'm just now getting them some of the content they've been missing out on, so I really see censorship as overzealous squeamishness of what life really has in it and cannot agree with it on most grounds. 

On original topic:
Also, the type of 2 player you are talking about is relatively hard in this particular engine, if one player leaves the screen they get disabled.  That's not to say that it can't be done, but in all reality you'd almost be better off with the Knuckles Chaotix variety of multi-player in which you don't allow either player to leave the screen.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

lunarrush wrote:

"shhhht!" is not a bad word, and we are aiming for a bit older audience to begin with.  After all, sonic nowadays is more about the latest 3D gimmick, we're going for more of a puzzle/nostalgic 2D sonic-like game as far as I've been able to determine(please let me know if I'm wrong there).   Also, the lovely thing about real bad words is that they convey a universal meaning.  Therefore, used correctly, bad words are a fantastic form of conveying your message.  However, attempting to censor things like "shhhht!" tells me that you may be of the censor police variety, so please tell me what is so bad about him attempting to get the user to be quiet about where he is?  Sorry if I seem very anti-censorship, but I have friends who were sheltered from everything above 't' rating for much of their lives and I'm just now getting them some of the content they've been missing out on, so I really see censorship as overzealous squeamishness of what life really has in it and cannot agree with it on most grounds. 

On original topic:
Also, the type of 2 player you are talking about is relatively hard in this particular engine, if one player leaves the screen they get disabled.  That's not to say that it can't be done, but in all reality you'd almost be better off with the Knuckles Chaotix variety of multi-player in which you don't allow either player to leave the screen.

In some ways, I agree with you on censorship. I wouldn't want to impede your free speech per se. Assuming that's the only use of that word, an E10+ esque rating isn't that bad. Just wanted to know what audience you were aiming for.

lunarrush wrote:

Sonic nowadays is more about the latest 3D gimmick,

Not to mention being as cheesy as possible. Have you seen the cutscene before the Final Boss in Sonic Generations? Oh Lord...

Oh you mean the time eater?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvq8tCljS0