Topic: Selling games

I'll probably ask this question again in the future, but for you modders,

is there any of you who would like to sell, online, a game that you made with the opensurge engine?

i think it's a good idea, to (at least) experiment with this. Do you?

Re: Selling games

I think absolutely this could be a feasable idea. As long as at least 25% of the sell goes to fund Open Surge, and 25% or maybe a few $pondoolie$ goes to those who provide content such as music, gfx and coding.

I'm willing to hook up music for such games. Either you can use the music resources I've already uploaded, or I can write exclusive music for you. That will be expensive though since you don't have to pay me any royalties after the purchase. 10000 SEK per track. Or I can write music for you that you pay 10 SEK per sold copy of the game.

For me, at least 30% of the profits should be placed in the opensurge donations. For me, never sell my mods. cool

Last edited by MatheusRRR (2013-01-09 14:26:06)

at some point i thought about that, but the way Open Surge is licensed would give the buyer permission to freely distribute copies. Although this is a good thing, the buyers could feel a bit ripped off, i think.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

jobromedia wrote:

I think absolutely this could be a feasable idea. As long as at least 25% of the sell goes to fund Open Surge, and 25% or maybe a few $pondoolie$ goes to those who provide content such as music, gfx and coding.

That means that, total, you're making 50% off of what could potentially be hours and hours of scripting, writing, etc.  Even less so if you have 2 people making scripts or writing songs, that drops your total viable profit right out the window.  Perhaps it would be better to have 25% go to Open Surge and then allow content creators to charge a commission for creating their content and releasing it in such a way that it can be used in a commercial project.  For example, lets say someone wants a custom hud and doesn't want to create it themselves, they could ask someone who is willing to do it on commission to do it and pay them a certain amount of money, then that creator would make them their custom hud and everybody would come out happy.  This would also work on %sales if the buyer didn't have money beforehand, it would all be a matter of working it out between creators and developers.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you meant, but dropping 50% sales right off the bat is a bit steep.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

I think it's unlikely that most modders want to pay for anything, really. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Still, I suppose some of you do want to get paid. I mean, why don't we do it? We could set up a simple "Open Surge store" and sell digital goods: games, music, art, etc. It doesn't hurt to try, does it? tongue

KZR wrote:

at some point i thought about that, but the way Open Surge is licensed would give the buyer permission to freely distribute copies. Although this is a good thing, the buyers could feel a bit ripped off, i think.

yes, because the license is GPL. But since I hold the copyright of the engine, I can very well dual-license it for modders, thus forbidding redistribution of copies. Therefore, selling games would be feasible. Isn't it so?

jobromedia wrote:

I'm willing to hook up music for such games. Either you can use the music resources I've already uploaded, or I can write exclusive music for you. That will be expensive though since you don't have to pay me any royalties after the purchase. 10000 SEK per track. Or I can write music for you that you pay 10 SEK per sold copy of the game.

jobro, it's also possible to sell music directly. For example, an alternative music package for 0.2.0 could be sold directly to end-users. Or maybe some other cool thing. Need to brainstorm on this. Don't you think?

I wouldn't be able to sell the mod I'm starting to work on, since it's a Sonic fan game. But if it were a completely new mod... well, I might... I don't know. I mean I'm only a teenager, I don't have any knowledge of how business works

All that is needed is a paypal account.

Then, we can use some service like Gumroad to sell. it's very, very simple

but then again, we need content to sell.

Gumroad seems to be offering a nice way to sell things, thank you for sharing that with me :-D.  This is a great way to sell content packs to people as well as the finished games, you'll most definitely be seeing me use this for things in the future.
As for selling Open Surge content, it seems like a grand idea to me, we'd definitely have to figure out how it would be licensed so that content creators could potentially make money off it, perhaps even some way to avoid having the .obj files taken from the objects folder and just distributed.

Last edited by lunarrush (2013-01-10 23:52:59)

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

Well the figures I gave above is for selling to commercial game companies, nothing ment for Open Surge.

Let's first see what store we can use.

An idea I have is DLC. Think about it. You have the main game, and then when DLC is available they will be stored in the game as extra quests, or expands the main game with them. All we need to do is check if a certain file is available. If it is, then ask the player if he wants to play through the extra levels. Take for instance in the caverns in sunshine paradise.  You see entries into other caverns. Create an object that checks if a file exists, if it does then print "Press UP to play the Sunshine paradise DLC extra levels". If it isn't available, then print "Requires Sunshine paradise extras DLC".

Alexandre wrote:

All that is needed is a paypal account.

Then, we can use some service like Gumroad to sell. it's very, very simple

but then again, we need content to sell.

but selling would help won't it?.

www.facebook.com/24XFSAL  Hasn't been updated anytime recently, don't bother.
I'm on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rain-new-holy - I plan to upload one soon.
Name change from 24XFSAL coming soon. Currently studying for Information Technology and Game development. (Also studying game theory in spare time.)

DL content: Extra enemies, characters, new power ups, and level packs going deeper into the game. Say a level pack for City chill zone where the players has to discover what keeps the city so cold. We could even make it so that we have placeholder objects that tries to launch DLC enemies when level is loaded. If the enemies hasn't been bought yet then don't bother place them. It's just a matter of checking if a file exist.

jobromedia wrote:

DL content: Extra enemies, characters, new power ups, and level packs going deeper into the game. Say a level pack for City chill zone where the players has to discover what keeps the city so cold. We could even make it so that we have placeholder objects that tries to launch DLC enemies when level is loaded. If the enemies hasn't been bought yet then don't bother place them. It's just a matter of checking if a file exist.

Well in this case since Open Surge is an Open Source Engine, users could easily edit the files...

so if people were to edit files they could ruin the game right?

I'm on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/rain-new-holy - I plan to upload one soon.
Name change from 24XFSAL coming soon. Currently studying for Information Technology and Game development. (Also studying game theory in spare time.)

Wouldn't SEGA be sad with you guys selling Sonic stuff withou asking for their permission first? sad

http://i39.tinypic.com/o6zq6o.png

its no sega is his original character SURGE COPYRIGHT do not steel

Yoshimitsu the Hedgehog

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/518/4zcx.jpg

aronthehedgehog wrote:

so if people were to edit files they could ruin the game right?

whoa hold on i don't remember typing that.

Well ofcourse they can edit the files if they want too, but if you restore the purchases then the files are downloaded from the server in it's original form. So really there's no harm done here.

selling games with SEGA / Sonic content? It would take a very ignorant person to do such a feat

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

No I agree fully. But that's when the open source content comes into play. Instead of using content from SEGA,  which is copyrighted and trademarked, we provide our own content such as gfx / sfx / music and more. This puts releaves the developer from any C&D letter's from SEGA's angry lawyers, the developer can focus full time on designing his game the way he want to do it. He wreaks in all the rewards, a part from a small fee going to the Open Surge project to cover monthly costs.

Dude, seriously, but if you guys keep on creating sonic-based stuff, you might have to put up with some lawsuits anyway, won't you? hmm

If it uses characters, story, and art that is copyrighted? Yeah.

If it just uses similar mechanics? Nah.

If that were the case, there would be LOTS of people getting sued.

Look at Mario Kart, for example. That's basically the first wacky, power-up using, kart racing game ever made, right? Now look at all of these games. (The last one had kart racing as a mode in it)

Even just Mario in general could count, that was one of the first platforming games ever. It pretty much made the genre.

It's basically impossible, and likely pointless, to copyright a game mechanic or genre. It's like having a musician copyright an instrument, or a style of music, like Jazz. It would completely cripple creativity.

Of course, there's still respect at stake for completely ripping off the mechanics. Lawsuits might not happen, but people might not think you're very creative if you just copy and paste every single mechanic from a game into your own. But being inspired by something and adding your own flavor, style, or even completely new mechanics to it, would be a decent idea for a good game.

I wasn't talking about the engine. I'm really concerned about the design of the characters and backgrounds, really. No trolling here, I swear.

Last edited by Yuush (2013-08-27 10:34:54)

Yuush wrote:

I wasn't talking about the engine. I'm really concerned about the design of the characters and backgrounds, really. No trolling here, I swear.

Same basic idea, I guess.

It's not Sonic. But again, in my opinion, Surge really needs to not have a completely identical moveset to Sonic. You can't really copyright an art style either, I suppose.

Like I said, as long as it remains inspired by Sonic, and isn't a direct copy of anything actually in the games, no legal action should be necessary.

But there's still something to be said for originality, as I mentioned. It's better to create a game similar to Sonic as opposed to a direct clone of it, imo. But, as far as what will be done to make Open Surge truly unique to Sonic is yet to be foreseen, I suppose, aside from the different characters, art, and plot.

I feel that swapping characters to use different abilities in a more puzzle-oriented fashion could be considered more unique, though I'm seriously not sure it's enough. I honestly do feel that Surge is still just a reskin of Sonic, Neon is a reskin of Tails, and Charge is a reskin of Knuckles. There's probably more that can be done to set them apart, maybe more abilities to be added to them or replacing the ones they have. Maybe Neon's jetpack could work differently than Tails' flying (as a very vertical double jump?), Charge could dig as a special ability (breaking ground that nobody else can go through), or Surge can have those lightning powers we mentioned way, way back (powering up objects that require electricity).

There's all kinds of ways to do it, it's just difficult to figure out the best method sometimes.

tl;dr:
similar =/= copied
less similar = more unique
more similar = less unique

Well we need to get the game more unique. We need to get animations that is different. Just for instance take the rolling animation, they look pretty similar to Sonic's rolling animation.