A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2012-12-03 23:59:38

jobromedia
Website

The way city chill should look

Earlier we had a major blackout in Stockholm, my hometown. 81.000 residents had no power for 3 hours. And since we've got -15C here in Stockholm I thought to myself. This gotta be the way City Chill should look like. I know we're really early in level designs, but I still wanna share this photo taken from my flat at the 6th floor. Sun is almost gone, so was my battery on my phone, yet still I managed to take this image. Sorry for the poor quality.

Blackout.jpg

#2 2012-12-04 02:23:00

S32X
Website

Re: The way city chill should look

Erm... You can bareley see anything. You want it to be compltely dark?

On a side note, It seems as City Chill/Frozen Metropolis seems to be an apocalypic city... that's frozen... So I had an idea for the 2nd/3rd act of the zone.

Well here's a idea I had.

The first act of the level is City Chill then at the end of the act is a sub boss (the air conditioner). When the air conditioner is destroyed, the city goes back to normal, but Surge and Charge realize that the city had been abandoned for centuries. The level would then change to City Apocalypse. The actual boss would be a damaged zombie-like version of the air conditioner (since it's an apocalypse) that brings some "friends" with him

They city's not on fire. It looks normal, blue skies and everything. But every thing's crumbled or mutilated in some way. When the city's frozen, it freezes every thing in place, but when the ice melts there are two major hazards: floods and falling... stuff. This makes Surge and Charge retreat to the subways, where it's safe.

It seems plausable, especially with um... that... picture? tongue

#3 2012-12-04 06:50:05

jobromedia
Website

I understand that this picture is rather dark. However I definitely think that city chill should have a darker and more menacing feeling. It was quite horrific to walk home yesternight with no lights showing up what so ever. Maybe the level should be a bit brighter, but not much. And as for the fire that you spoke of. There was no fire going off in that picture. What you saw was the sun setting, as well as some city lights in the distance.

#4 2012-12-04 08:18:36

lunarrush

How about we make a compromise and make it dark going to light (as opposed to the light to dark of SSP)

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

#5 2012-12-04 19:51:37

jobromedia
Website

Sounds good 2 me.

#6 2012-12-04 23:15:24

S32X
Website

Dark to light... I guess if we wanted it to be dark and more creepy, it should be set at night, but how exaclty would it become light again. If we have the city to "un-freeze"-which if we want it to be light this seems like a way to go- There has to be a cause to actually create a source of light.

*Surge and Charge look around them and find the Ice is melting around them*
Surge: Oh no. If all this ice melts, It'll flood!
*Charge doesn't seem to worried about this*
Charge: Doesn't bother me any. I'm good at--
*He stopped abruptly
Surge: Good at what?
*Charge doesn't answer; he just points upward*
Surge: What are you pointing at?
*As Surge looks up, a piece of a building collapses and falls toward the ground. It hits a old power generator and breaks it open, exposing water to the old circuits. Suddenly there is a large explosion as Surge and Charge are blown back by the force of it.

This adds:

1. The source of light that makes the scheme Dark-Bright
2. With the floods, it also adds some underwater sections; making the level more challenging.
3. It adds an mandatory objective to the level, in this case: "Run for your life!"

jobromedia wrote:

And as for the fire that you spoke of. There was no fire going off in that picture. What you saw was the sun setting, as well as some city lights in the distance.

...What...? When did I say anything about Stockholm being on fire?

Board footer