Topic: [bug]Audio on 64-bit Linux edition

Hi there,
I've gone through another system reinstall on my Linux partition, and today I set up my compiler environment again.  I ran into a strange possible bug, the audio didn't play as it did when I last compiled for Linux.  Here is the output when I load the game in the console:

AL lib: oss_open_playback: Could not open /dev/dsp: No such file or directory

Not sure why that happened, I still have all the files I compiled for install.  If you think I should attempt to reinstall one I will.
Thanks in advance :-).

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

Re: [bug]Audio on 64-bit Linux edition

I really have no idea, but I think you can find a solution by googling around some Linux forums.

If you (or anyone else) can figure it out, please share a solution with us.

"/dev/dsp/" ?

This looks like a problem with the Linux itself.
/dev/dsp should already be created, if i recall correctly.
It is used by some Linux-based audio systems.

-- svgmovement

I figured out what the problem was, for some reason OpenAL is not recognizing alsa or pulse or many of the other audio systems.  /dev/dsp/ is OSS, and unfortunately my kernel doesn't have support for that.  I'm not sure why OpenAL is not sensing any other audio systems, but it is the reason I get no sound.

If I knew then what I know now I'd tell you that the story's true.  Cause whatever you do, it comes back to you.  -Slaughter, Burning Bridges

maybe reinstalling openal?

lunar, while you don't find a solution, a remedial fix would be compiling the game using Allegro's audio routines (use ccmake) and then running padsp ./opensurge