Re: keeping up the progress 'til 0.2.0

maybe later.

---

recently completed stuff:
1. create a very good music for the title screen - August 24th, 2012. Thank you, jobromedia!
2. a few more improvements to the engine code - August 24th, 2012
2.1. look for .obj, .spr, etc. in subfolders, recursively - August 24th, 2012
2.5. "debug mode" for stage select - August 24th, 2012
2.6. scripting: faster lookup for globals - August 24th, 2012

now working on:
4. update rapid brickset editor to better handle groups of bricks

help needed with:
2. document, in the wiki, the "collision mask" feature for bricksets

If someone gives a thorough explanation on this "collision mask", I'll document it.

1. create a very good music for the title screen - August 24th, 2012. Thank you, jobromedia!

It's always a pleasure helping out!

Are there any particular graphics needed?

The SSP brickset, an updated title screen, an end of demo screen, and perhaps a few images for the new website. It's written there on the OP.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

What  "updated title screen" are you talking about? New animations?

Redshrike wrote:

Are there any particular graphics needed?

Yes.

1) We need a redesign of the title screen, but before anything else, please let us know if you're interested.

2) During the first cutscene, when Surge says "Fine..." to Neon, we shouldn't display a waterfall in the background. What we should be displaying is a blurred 320x240 picture of Sunshine Paradise; that is the particular graphic we need. The waterfall should appear only after that, when Surge says "let's meet up at the waterfall".

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/s072.png

As for the Timeshock DLC, Progress is slow-going, on the account that I have my sophomore year to deal with at Holmes Community College. I'm in a Drafting and Design Technology major, might work on this on the side more, after I graduate with an Associate of Science in Applied Science and get a job at Nissan. Until then, I hope the engine gets some upgrades to accomodate quests involving time travel.

I'm ready and waiting for you!

No need to rush that since we have barely a working game released anyways.

Like I said, I'm hoping by the time I graduate in May of 2013, provided the Mayans in the afterlife update their calendar before December 21st (I still don't think it means the end of the world, just the end of one chapter in civilization, following cultural revolution), we will have all the engine functions and features needed for more Sonic CD-esque levels. I'd like these engine components and updates in before the 2013 public release:

• Layout flags to change the levels layout in terms of bg, brickset and layout for seperate time periods

• Support for animated backgrounds (in case that has not been done before).

• Implementation and guide for a new level file format with the option to enable or disable time travel.

I'm not saying start on this right away, rather finish 0.2.0, then worry about simplified time travel for the next public build.

I'm ready and waiting for you!

Ah, ok.  Unfortunately, I don't think either of those are things that would be particularly easy for me to do right now.  I don't have my tablet on hand atm, so I'm sticking with basic pixelart atm.

Redshrike wrote:

Ah, ok.  Unfortunately, I don't think either of those are things that would be particularly easy for me to do right now.  I don't have my tablet on hand atm, so I'm sticking with basic pixelart atm.

well, alright. smile if there's something that you're able to help atm, please let us know.

Hi everyone smile

I've just tried the latest bleeding edge 716 and I must say that the game has already a very coherent feeling as for the presentation, the menus and all that. The act 1 preview is also a good preview on several engine features, well completed by the template stage which shows almost everything else.

All that to say that it's taking shape! Well done!

There is only one very thing that is surprising concerning the current game compared to the rest: the way surge starts to run. I mean, the idle animation, and the full course and ball modes are quite fine, but when you start to run, Surge feels like slipping on the floor until the full speed course, is it intended?

My best regards,

Bertram wrote:

There is only one very thing that is surprising concerning the current game compared to the rest: the way surge starts to run. I mean, the idle animation, and the full course and ball modes are quite fine, but when you start to run, Surge feels like slipping on the floor until the full speed course, is it intended?

do you mean: the velocity of the animation?

Alexandre wrote:

do you mean: the velocity of the animation?

It's part of the idea, yes. I suppose trying to fix that may make the problem partially or even totally disappear IMHO.

Thanks for your consideration.

When I first played the bleeding-edge (rev. 698), I thought Surge's walking/accelerating animation was sort of strange to. It made it look like the coding for walking was completely screwed up. Then I looked at Neon and Charges walking animations and realized it was just Surge and not the engine. I don't seem to like the top speed animation too. It looks too much like modern Sonic with his arms back (and way too straight).

As for the title screen I think it would be nice if we could skip that butterscotch overlay all together. The reason is:

1. It makes my eyes go strain when trying to read what the menu items is.
2. It's darn ugly. And:
3. Does this game take place on Mars?

So darken down the background to RGB 64,64,64, set the text to RGB 192,192,192 so it really shows what it's all about. This will vastly improve the readability.

@Alex in scripting we would need animation speed multiplier variable which is a calculated 0-1 ratio, so that the animation fps would be consistent with the movement speed. stopped would be 0, walking 1 and again for the running animation we'd run another 0-1 ratio variable based on minimum running speed (0), and maximum (1).

so simply, an fps multiplier based on how fast the player is moving when a given animation is running.

https://image.ibb.co/kuSYrm/SD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/kHq8P6/SeD_sml.pnghttps://image.ibb.co/cJf8P6/LTot_W_sml.png

Sort of like a switch?

Excerpt from MM's object-based character system (By that I mean every animation is made through an object instead of the engine's built in definitions):

state "walking"
    {
        let "$_leaderspeedfactor = max(1, (abs(player_xspeed()) / 200))"
        let "$_leaderangle = player_angle()"
        change_state "main"
    }
        state "running"
    {
        let "$_leaderspeedfactor = max(1, (abs(player_xspeed()) / 200))"
        let "$_leaderangle = player_angle()"
        change_state "main"
    }

That speed factor makes it so the main character accelerates into his running animation. Basically, it starts out at the default fps and speeds up as the player goes above 200 pixels per second.

This worked well for me, anyways, so maybe a new scripting command like 'set_player_animation_speed_factor' could be built into the engine for this purpose.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2012-09-03 19:08:12)

That seems like a long decorator, maybe something like "set_player_animation_fps"

let "$frameaccelerator = max(1, (abs(player_xspeed()) / 200))" 
on_player_walk "speed up!"
}
state "speed up!"
{
set_player_animation_fps "$frameaccelerator
}

Last edited by S32X (2012-09-03 19:39:32)

S32X wrote:

That seems like a long decorator, maybe something like "set_player_animation_fps"

on_player_walk "speed up!"
}
state "speed up!"
{
}

This is more accurate, it has to update itself constantly.

But, regardless, the reason why its so long is so its similar to 'set_animation_speed_factor' and makes it easier to remember. You don't want a moment where you struggle to figure out if its 'fps' or 'speed factor'.

Plus, fps and speed factor are two completely different things, fps is the frames per second, and speed factor is a number multiplied by frames per second:

FPS * Speed Factor = Speed
8 * 0.5 = 4

This would be 'set_player_animation_speed_factor 0.5' as opposed to what would be 'set_player_animation_fps 4', and it would work different.

tl;dr the command name I chose was long but its less confusing in the long run.

Another segment of code I have no knowledge what it does, but looks cool anyways.

So since some progress has been reported, how's the bleeding edge coming along? Is ithe new components still too unstable for implementation?

all right. set_player_animation_speed_factor.

jobromedia wrote:

As for the title screen I think it would be nice if we could skip that butterscotch overlay all together. The reason is:

1. It makes my eyes go strain when trying to read what the menu items is.
2. It's darn ugly. And:
3. Does this game take place on Mars?

So darken down the background to RGB 64,64,64, set the text to RGB 192,192,192 so it really shows what it's all about. This will vastly improve the readability.

i don't understand it fully. Would you mind providing a picture? thanks. smile

I've made it have sunshine Paradise's background.
http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Wednesday5thofSeptember2012034337AM.png

Last edited by S32X (2012-09-05 01:44:17)