A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2012-06-28 13:48:50

jobromedia
Website

Guide for new custom objects designers

This is a few points of advice for all who want to design their own custom objects.

The process to follow:

1. From small things, big things one day come!

Not the other way around. New COD's want to design a fancy boss first of all, but fails due to the lack of knowledge. Babies need to learn how to eat, crawl, then talk, and once they've got that right they learn to walk.

Should you skip the boss all together? Hell no!

2. The wiki is your friend!

As a new COD you need to understand the basics of the scripting language. Study the API reference, and the case studies to better understand how the scripts works.

3. Test everything!

There is no better way to learn from the start, so test the scripts:

* alter variables,
* change it's speed
* how many bullets it fires

And do this with the API reference opened in your browser so you can get first hand info on what all decorators do.

4. Stick paint the actions

Design on paper the way the boss acts, the way it attacks, it's death sequence and so on. Heck even the guys behind Mortal Kombat uses this method.

5. Face the bleeding edge!

Make sure to download the latest bleeding edge of open surge. Why? Because it features new stuff that isn't available in the stable version.

6. Assemble your toolkit

Get the softwares you need to create your objects. Paint programs, mindmap software, text editors etc, just make sure that you use legit bought software, or freeware if you don't have the cash needed.

7. Designing the files

As your knowledge grows so does the idea of the boss you want to design. Now it's time to create the art / sounds you need for the boss.

8. Putting your dream into action

You've studied the scripting language, made your sketches, assembled the tools and created the needed files. Now it's your time to create the scripts it needs to work properly.

9. Testing it out

Now comes a long period that you need to follow through, and it is the part to test the object you've made. Fact is that this is the period that divides the amateurs from the pro's. Windows has over 3000 test builds before it was even released. Now I'm not saying you have to be that extreme, but test at least 100 times the boss so you can get the worst bugs sorted out before you release a beta version.

10. Release some betas

Now it's time to release a beta of your object here on the forum. Provide a test level where the object is available. Post the known bugs you've found, and ask for assistance to test the object even more. Then you release a new beta every 7-14 days until you got the object working the way you want it to act.

11. Release some candidates

As the last beta is released it's time to release a few release candidates. This object is almost 100% completed. It needs just some fine adjustments.

12. Time to go viral!

Once the object is finished it's time to spread the word on this and other forums. Find a permanent place for the download to reside, and bask in the awe and glory your creation has given you. Go out, get a soft drink and enjoy the sun.

#2 2012-06-28 19:10:48

S32X
Website

Re: Guide for new custom objects designers

I'm not sure where in the wiki this would go...

#3 2012-06-28 19:41:59

jobromedia
Website

I was more thinking this as a sticky topic. smile

#4 2012-06-29 03:22:58

KZR
Website

both

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#5 2012-06-29 05:59:40

SilverstepP

It's decent, but it needs to be reordered and readjusted:

jobromedia wrote:

1. From small things, big things one day come!

Not the other way around. New COD's want to design a fancy boss first of all, but fails due to the lack of knowledge. Babies need to learn how to eat, crawl, then talk, and once they've got that right they learn to walk.

Should you skip the boss all together? Hell no!

I think this could perhaps be reworded. It's a bit difficult to understand the point being made here, though I understand it is about equivalent to "You can't learn to script if you don't take the time to do it".

jobromedia wrote:

6. Assemble your toolkit

Get the softwares you need to create your objects. Paint programs, mindmap software, text editors etc, just make sure that you use legit bought software, or freeware if you don't have the cash needed.

jobromedia wrote:

5. Face the bleeding edge!

Make sure to download the latest bleeding edge of open surge. Why? Because it features new stuff that isn't available in the stable version.

These should be put into the same step, and this should be the first real step. It's vital you have all the software and tools you need before even thinking about starting to script. You need to practice with the tools you start with. Open Surge's Bleeding Edge itself is one of those tools.

jobromedia wrote:

2. The wiki is your friend!

As a new COD you need to understand the basics of the scripting language. Study the API reference, and the case studies to better understand how the scripts works.

You are missing something extremely important here.

You have to learn how to make spritesheets as well as everything else before you even begin thinking about jumping into coding. Be sure to add something along those lines here. This is absolutely vital. Many would-be scripters stop dead in their tracks because they simply don't know how to add sprites and art to their scripts.

jobromedia wrote:

3. Test everything!

There is no better way to learn from the start, so test the scripts:

* alter variables,
* change it's speed
* how many bullets it fires

And do this with the API reference opened in your browser so you can get first hand info on what all decorators do.

Could use better examples, but the general idea is OK. Mentioning 'bullets' out of nowhere in the list could throw people off.

jobromedia wrote:

4. Stick paint the actions

Design on paper the way the boss (object) acts, the way it attacks, it's death sequence and so on (how it reacts to players, what happens when it touches a different object). Heck even the guys behind Mortal Kombat uses this method.

jobromedia wrote:

7. Designing the files

As your knowledge grows so does the idea of the boss  (object) you want to design. Now it's time to create the art / sounds you need for the boss  (object).

Bolded text would be what needs to be there instead thing relating to just bosses. It should be a bit more general. Not every person who wants to learn to script wants to make a boss as soon as they begin. (I know that I didn't, I wanted to make boost rings as soon as I got the first version of the scripting engine, and I did). Make sure to let the person know you can make more than just bosses with it.

jobromedia wrote:

8. Putting your dream into action

You've studied the scripting language, made your sketches, assembled the tools and created the needed files. Now it's your time to create the scripts it needs to work properly.

This is fine as is.

jobromedia wrote:

9. Testing it out

Now comes a long period that you need to follow through, and it is the part to test the object you've made. Fact is that this is the period that divides the amateurs from the pro's. Windows has over 3000 test builds before it was even released. Now I'm not saying you have to be that extreme, but test at least 100 times the boss so you can get the worst bugs sorted out before you release a beta version.

This is a bit generalized. You need to also tell them WHAT to test. Does the object react as expected when the player attacks it? What if an inactive player touches it? What does it do if it goes offscreen and inactive for too long? Did you test every state of the object? Do the sounds play properly? Are variable values what they should be?

jobromedia wrote:

10. Release some betas

Now it's time to release a beta of your object here on the forum. Provide a test level where the object is available. Post the known bugs you've found, and ask for assistance to test the object even more. Then you release a new beta every 7-14 days until you got the object working the way you want it to act.

It's a bit rare to see this actually happen, but it is important, nonetheless. I'd suggest to also release it with the bleeding edge version it's for, because you'll likely get several "It doesn't work with my version!"s from a few people.

Be sure to mention, again, the what. Beginners should know what files they have to release. The .obj, .spr, and the .png of the object, most importantly.

jobromedia wrote:

11. Release some candidates

As the last beta is released it's time to release a few release candidates. This object is almost 100% completed. It needs just some fine adjustments.

jobromedia wrote:

12. Time to go viral!

Once the object is finished it's time to spread the word on this and other forums. Find a permanent place for the download to reside, and bask in the awe and glory your creation has given you. Go out, get a soft drink and enjoy the sun.

The two of these probably need to be rewritten completely, and combined.

Why would it go in other forums? I don't quite see the purpose of why it should leave 'Custom Objects', seeing as it is... well... a custom object. People should release their object betas in "Custom Objects" and the scripter needs to just continue to receive feedback on their objects as more bugs are found in them. Once you stop finding oversights, you're done. Before then, there's no real "release" point.

Also, you should probably mention that testing others' objects is a good way to learn how to make your own. Having pre-built things you can learn from helps a lot.

Last edited by SilverstepP (2012-06-29 06:03:24)

#6 2012-06-29 06:04:49

S32X
Website

You make good points to every thing. It goes to show I didn't fully understand it either. (And the first object I scripted was a robot penguin enemy. smile )

#7 2012-06-29 06:58:36

KZR
Website

by "other forums" he meant out of Open Surge's own forums.

i agree with the rest of Silver's observations.

EDIT: oh wow post 1000 ! let's have a party cool

Last edited by KZR (2012-06-29 06:59:15)

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#8 2012-06-29 07:30:24

S32X
Website

I was gonna PM you saying "Congratulations!" But, I was taking a nap. tongue

#9 2012-07-01 05:11:06

jobromedia
Website

The tut is now on the wiki, feel free to edit it as you see fit. I'm heading back home and will check the results then.

http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/ind … _designers

Last edited by jobromedia (2012-07-01 05:14:04)

Board footer