Topic: Nice....

hey you are also studying computer science man, I am too.
So this is your third year right?
I am 20 years old as well.
Nice to see there are sonic fans that want to make a sonic game, an open source one at last.

Re: Nice....

that's cool man. big_smile This is my third year. Where are you from?

Most of sonic fangames around are made using softwares like mmf and gm. Only a few are created with languages like C and C++, and very few are open source. Besides, I don't know any game for linux based on the sonic series. There are some mario-based games/engines around for linux, like supertux and smc, but nothing based on sonic. So I created Open Sonic smile

That's exactly what I thought when I started mine, I saw this months ago butit was empty and I thought it was dead. Anyway my game will be released under GPL as well, since I want it to be an introduction to dreamcast programming.
It's time for some sonic games to be open source...

Last edited by Neoblast (2009-02-12 17:32:08)

There is another project named "OpenSonic" hosted on sourceforge, but it's abandoned and empty. I requested a project takeover on December/2008, and sourceforge approved my request. However, I didn't gain the control of that account because the purge system of sourceforge is offline for more than 7 months due to a datacenter migration (they need to remove the old data to give me the account). Project removals and takeovers are not working for months.

I just got tired of waiting and on January/2009 I registered a new project, "opensnc". My project takeover request hasn't been fully processed yet, and although sourceforge approved it, my request is on the processing queue even today, lol :P

Haha nice workaround I even thought it was the same project lol.
Anyway it's doing good with this name already.
And looks good, most map editors won't allow that weird map format you got there...
Any chance of it getting changed a little?

See here

-- Reviving the topic --
Hi Alexandre... man, you are very popular in game making area... I remember the "Gaming Brasil", Sonic Universe 1,2.... I loved these games, and you were so young when you made it, and today you still are (comparing with the most ~good~ gaming developers around the world xD).
I'm studing Computer Science too (2 years remaining), and Computer Engineering (3,5years remaining), I have 18years old, and I'm a big fan of sonic... My first game of my life was Sonic 2 for MegaDrive in 1993. ~Nostalgic moment~
I've made some games in MMF and others MMF-like softwares too... but never from scratch using only a language like you are doing now in OpenSonic... ~Thanks for this initiative~
Well, I have some ideas, story-lines, vectorized (I use Inkscape to draw) sonics for help OpenSonic... But now it's 3 AM, I have to sleep, later I post the content here.
Cya, good luck...

Hello icarocherma and welcome to the forums! smile

Thank you for your words. I've looked at your blog, and there are interesting articles in there. I've enjoyed a lot your article about free software. smile

We want to make sure that Open Sonic gets better and better. Please feel free to contribute to our project with your ideas, graphics, etc. smile