A fun 2D retro platformer inspired by Sonic games and a game creation system

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Our community has moved to Discord! https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m

#1 2012-05-31 21:29:48

KZR
Website

Open Surge r700 Hacked - SD Flavor

Here's my current hack of the engine, aimed towards a different platformer style, while making use of most of the default physics.

This is not intended for low end machines, so you may have some trouble running it in anything under a Pentium 4 with at least 512MB of RAM. If you try this release please let me know the following:

- Computer Specs (processor, memory, operating system)
- Minimum and maximum FPS

I should also warn you that the resolution has been doubled and that's default. There is no way to change it other than slipping in a preferences.dat generated with the "vanilla" build, or the command line arguments. I don't recommend you do this, unless you like glitches and crashes.

You will also find that the old graphics don't fit the screen now. This is HIGHLY mod-oriented, so if you are considering to use this, also consider making all graphics and fonts bigger.

List of hacked features:

*[OK] internal resolution is now 640x480, screen area equivalent to 4 of the default screens.
*[OK] running threshold lowered a bit, so that slopes don't cause a glitch in the transition between walk and run animations.
*[OK] bounce_player works like a bumper, bouncing you based on hit angle and speed, with less strength. however if your speed is high you will bounce off pretty fast.
*[OK] rings have no effect on your life. spikes and hit_player won't kill you, unless you make a scripted kill_player. they will still hit you.
*[OK] removed options menu (sorry, no level select, use opensurge.exe -- level "path\to\level.lev")
*[OK] removed extra quests menu.
*[EXPERIMENTAL] "acid shield" is now "earth shield". on_acid_shield becomes on_earth_shield, for example.
*[EXPERIMENTAL] item boxes no longer require rolling actions to break. you can just go through.
*[EXPERIMENTAL] slopes should only affect speed if you're running or over maximum walking speed
*[EXPERIMENTAL] falling on a slope won't slide you down along it, unless your X speed is moving you in such direction

source code:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20216605/Hacke … ck_src.zip

you may need to get a clean vanilla r700 source, and merge the extracted "src" folder, though i'm not sure. let me know too please.

windows .exe

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20216605/Hacke … in_exe.zip

for those running windows, and not wanting to mess with the code, simply get a clean vanilla r700 from the bleeding edge topic, and replace the exe with this one. Also replace preferences.dat if asked.

SD_sml.pngSeD_sml.pngLTot_W_sml.png
https://discord.gg/w8JqM7m ---> Open Surge's Discord server

#2 2012-05-31 22:03:43

S32X
Website

Re: Open Surge r700 Hacked - SD Flavor

KZR wrote:

I don't recommend you do this, unless you like glitches and crashes.

Okay. No offense. Who in the name of God like glitches and crashes?

UPDATE: The graphics are really weird. There's like... half the screen is large, another half is still in the original resolution. This is causing very odd effects. like the backgrounds for instance. The positioning system is very strange, meaning the four backgrounds are appearing on the same screen. Also, player control SUCKS. And I'm not trying to be mean, but when you're on a narrow surface and even though you let go of the button, the player just moves anyway. I've also noticed that an elec shield doesn't "zap out" when contact with water. And if you get hurt, you don't lose rings/collectibles at all.

Last edited by S32X (2012-05-31 22:21:12)

#3 2012-05-31 22:41:55

KZR
Website

S32X wrote:

The graphics are really weird. There's like... half the screen is large, another half is still in the original resolution. This is causing very odd effects. like the backgrounds for instance. The positioning system is very strange, meaning the four backgrounds are appearing on the same screen

I wrote:

You will also find that the old graphics don't fit the screen now. This is HIGHLY mod-oriented, so if you are considering to use this, also consider making all graphics and fonts bigger.

---

S32X wrote:

]And if you get hurt, you don't lose rings/collectibles at all

I wrote:

rings have no effect on your life. spikes and hit_player won't kill you, unless you make a scripted kill_player. they will still hit you.

about the slopes, i forgot to mention that you need a companion object that sets your speed to 0 when you're on ground <90º or >270º and your absolute xspeed is inferior to a number usually between 0 and 64.

if "((player_angle() < 90) or (player_angle() > 270)) and ((player_angle() > 0) or (player_angle() < 359)) and (player_angle() <> 0) and (abs(player_xspeed())<24)" "grip"

then in "grip" you set_player_xspeed 0 and add conditions to set off, like when the player speed is above that value, for example.

and i have no idea about the thunder shield with water. i haven't touched any of them.

S32X wrote:

Okay. No offense. Who in the name of God like glitches and crashes?

if you are interested, you can try. resolution 2 is 800*600 resolution3 is 1280*720(HD720p compatible) and 4 is 1280*1024. the graphics once again , need to be made bigger. or they will look much weirder.

Last edited by KZR (2012-05-31 22:51:57)

#4 2012-06-01 00:12:47

Alexandre
Administrator
Website

Nice! Congratulations on getting so many things hacked up. smile

This is the true free software culture. See how nice is it?

#5 2012-06-01 01:11:09

S32X
Website

@KZR

yeah...forgot about that. I kinda skimmed through it.

@Alexandre

"Getting things hacked up"? That sounds like a cat that's been hacking up a hairball. I think extensive modding is better.

#6 2012-06-01 01:13:53

KZR
Website

yeah... setting up the compiler and the dependencies was probably the hardest part tongue

@S32X

this is the first hack ever, i think, from someone who doesn't know much about coding so please bear with me when i make a mess smile

Last edited by KZR (2012-06-01 01:15:23)

#7 2012-06-01 01:17:34

S32X
Website

This is a mess: dfjkblasdhblahfklsehikjasehasfwghfqyjhdfolahnAZhgvsefuashfgkljashfl tongue

Board footer