Topic: Open Surge Logo SVG

Open Surge Logo
Download opensurge_logo.zip

Surge Art
Download surge_svg.zip

Last edited by lainz (2011-08-20 21:06:00)

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

very, very nice. I wonder if it's possible to give it some more detail?

This would be perfect for the new website we'll have, as currently we're using resized low-res pictures (both for the logo and for Surge):

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/uploa … shot-4.png

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Screenshot-4.png
not completed, though.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

Alexandre wrote:

very, very nice. I wonder if it's possible to give it some more detail?


Something like this?
http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/opensurge_stylished_lz.png

Without the old style borders and less nodes, also I will remove the squared-borders.

Alexandre wrote:

This would be perfect for the new website we'll have, as currently we're using resized low-res pictures (both for the logo and for Surge):

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/uploa … shot-4.png

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Screenshot-4.png
not completed, though.

May be if I have some time.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

lainz wrote:
Alexandre wrote:

very, very nice. I wonder if it's possible to give it some more detail?


Something like this?
http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/opensurge_stylished_lz.png

Without the old style borders and less nodes, also I will remove the squared-borders.

the borders are ok, as they improve the contrast. I mean, is it possible to give the texture more detail? like the pixel art logo.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

Oh, lainz, if you need clarification, Alex wanted to see the shadows and lighting in the logo like the one in the sprite.

Your teacher asks you. What to answer? Say this:
"I thought the teacher is supposed to know."

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

I'm out of practice with Inkscape so that only enhances the edges:
Download opensurge_logo.zip

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

the edges have indeed been improved. smile

SurgeChris wrote:

Oh, lainz, if you need clarification, Alex wanted to see the shadows and lighting in the logo like the one in the sprite.

exactly smile

edit:

lainz, do you plan to continue the logo? This could be used not only on the website, but on the user manual as well.

Last edited by Alexandre (2011-08-18 21:32:24)

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

sorry this is all I can do, really i'm out of practice but anyone can improve the logo if has inkscape, corel draw, free hand, illustrator or some other svg editor.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

lainz wrote:

sorry this is all I can do, really i'm out of practice but anyone can improve the logo if has inkscape, corel draw, free hand, illustrator or some other svg editor.

too bad sad but it's all right. thanks for contributing smile

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

wink

BTW if sometime you need svg shapes I can help but not painting seems that inkscape is not my right hand today.

Also when you'll release for open surge I can do a setup for windows with file associations, i'm opening a new thread about this.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

lainz wrote:

BTW if sometime you need svg shapes I can help but not painting seems that inkscape is not my right hand today.

We need one more, please. Would it be possible to make a smooth SVG for Surge? Like this one:

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/hhh.png

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

Japanese surge smile it's hard to do the eyes and mouth. wink

http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/Saturday20thofAugust2011110425PM.png

Download surge_svg.zip

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

very good, lainz smile how long have you been messing with inkscape and svg art?

i believe Surge is almost 100% now, though there are some things that can be improved, in order of importance:

1. we understand it's hard, but the eyes are really that important. they give personality to the character. the eyes mean a lot. is there a way to somehow create his left eye?

2. is it possible to draw an outline, like you did for the open surge logo? also like we can see in this picture. notice the internal contour of his hands and ears.

3. this is the least important, but probably the easier to do: notice that Surge's chest has a brighter orange part in it. is it possible to make this trait in the svg as well?

overall the art is very good; just some adjustments are missing. i know i'm asking a lot tongue , but if you do them, your work will become extremely useful to the project, especially to the new website. Every player will see the (hopefully, painted) logo and this vectorial Surge you're working on. wink

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

Alexandre wrote:

very good, lainz smile how long have you been messing with inkscape and svg art?

i believe Surge is almost 100% now, though there are some things that can be improved, in order of importance:

1. we understand it's hard, but the eyes are really that important. they give personality to the character. the eyes mean a lot. is there a way to somehow create his left eye?

Long time. Specially for doing a game in my forum (the game was never finished):

http://www.windspro.org/f10-platform-island-adventures

Please see each one (scroll to the bottom):

http://www.windspro.org/t1013-art-libre-enemigos
http://www.windspro.org/t1006-character-art#34037
http://www.windspro.org/t987-fondos-del-primer-nivel
http://www.windspro.org/t1003-temas-bot … do-de-menu
http://www.windspro.org/t1012-buildings

The painting in those arts was automatically done with inkscape filters but putting those filters in the logo looks really bad because that I never painted the logo. Other way to paint the logo is masking each shadow and each light, but the final result I get don't like.

Also i've created the eye but really i don't like it so i've removed from the svg. i will try again smile

Alexandre wrote:

2. is it possible to draw an outline, like you did for the open surge logo? also like we can see in this picture. notice the internal contour of his hands and ears.

outlines are automatic smile

Alexandre wrote:

3. this is the least important, but probably the easier to do: notice that Surge's chest has a brighter orange part in it. is it possible to make this trait in the svg as well?

i've forget it roll

Alexandre wrote:

overall the art is very good; just some adjustments are missing. i know i'm asking a lot tongue , but if you do them, your work will become extremely useful to the project, especially to the new website. Every player will see the (hopefully, painted) logo and this vectorial Surge you're working on. wink

i will try wink

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

Here it is:
Download surge_svg_2.zip

In the svg file are both painted and not painted, so you can paint it in your own style.
http://upload.surgeswarehouse.com/upload/surge_svg_2.png

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

E X C E L L E N T !

This is exactly what we were looking for. A charismatic character with a clean, yet appealing look. You solved our problem. Well done, lainz. smile

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

wink

I'm seeing in the forum nice images (avatar, screenshots) maybe someone want to edit with photoshop and give a more professional style, this is only exported unretouched with inkscape.

Re: Open Surge Logo SVG

There's an update to this:
http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/forum/vi … 312#p13312