(5 replies, posted in General)

Hello lainz and welcome to the forums! smile Thanks for the package.

Too bad ESPIOKaos is going to die tomorrow. sad John Weeks has done an awesome work over the past 10 years. He composed tons of good MIDIs that were made available free of charge to anyone. It's sad but it's understandable.


(12 replies, posted in General)

Oh, I just saw the problem, but I couldn't figure out a regular pattern. I'll try some more at night. This will require some extensive testing, but it will be fixed smile


(5 replies, posted in General)

So, basically the problem occurs in moveable platforms with vertical movement. Thanks smile


(3 replies, posted in General)

Awesome work man! big_smile

I just think a couple of things are not right:

  • the menu option sound isn't good (also, the volume level is too low)

  • the sound that plays when Knuckles climbs a wall is weird and doesn't fit well

Other than that it's great! smile


(5 replies, posted in General)

kirbyboy wrote:

With the third bug, i'll try to explain better(with my limited english), when platform moves, the character doesn't move with the platform smoothly, the character is shaking a bit, its something strange that happens me in fullscreen, in windowed i'm not very sure because the screes is so small.  A lot of time ago i read the allegro documentation, it may be because the blit is not correctly treated or something called vsync may be the problem(i'm not sure because i read the documentation a LOT of time ago), in CRT's(like my monitor), when i ran with Sonic at high speed, the screen doesn't updates correctly, and maybe it happens the same in that moving platform(the one that moves in circles) .  I don't have enough knowledge about Allegro, so i can't look and understand all your code, sorry.  The best here it would be a video.

Try to play the prototype.lev level. There's a green moveable platform in that stage. Tell me what you see.


(2 replies, posted in General)

Open Sonic 0.1.1

Open Sonic 0.1.1 was released! Check out the download page big_smile

What's new:

  • Better friction and gravity

  • The teleporters now work only once

  • Improved the slopes

  • Updated the launcher

  • Updated the docs

  • Linux users can now save/load data (levels, quests, images, etc.) to/from $HOME/.opensonic/ (please see the docs for more information)

  • Linux users can now use the "make install" command (only when using the source package - please see the docs)

  • New level editor command: change spawn point

  • Bugfixes

See our changelog.


(1 replies, posted in General)

Hello redkey73 and welcome to the forums! smile

Thank you for your comments. I'd love to hear some musics you created in the past. smile

Currently Open Sonic can play the following music formats: .mod , .it , .xm & .s3m - see here ( and here ). Module files are a bit "similar" to midi, but:

Wikipedia wrote:

Module files also give a list of the order in which to play the patterns. However, the biggest advantage of MOD family over standard MIDI files is that MODs include their own audio samples and should sound exactly the same from one player to another (barring interpolation methods and any errors in players).

Module files can be small (as opposed to some .ogg / .mp3) and they look great under different systems.

There is a free tool called OpenMPT which works with these music formats too. It's for Windows, but it runs well under Wine.

Some of the musics played on Open Sonic 0.1.0 were downloaded here (by John Weeks). They are MIDIs actually, but I used OpenMPT to convert them to the .it format smile


(1 replies, posted in General)

Nice to see you compiled the game big_smile

allegro-config is a script (usually located on /usr/bin) that helps to compile things. I don't know if it's in your $PATH, but if it's not, I recommend that you compile Allegro yourself (or add it manually). On my system, allegro-config --libs returns:

username@pcname:~$ allegro-config --libs
-L/usr/lib -Wl,--export-dynamic -lalleg-4.2.2 -lalleg_unsharable

I run Ubuntu 8.04 on my notebook.


(7 replies, posted in Off-topic)

See here


(3 replies, posted in General)

Open Sonic is not tile-based.

Neoblast wrote:

Also in order to get more performance it would be better to make the map format in binary instead of text. There a lot of editors that work that way.

hmm, that's not true. The map format has already good performance because the level files are pretty small (20 KB average) and the read processing is very fast (the map entities just need to be read once, and then all the data goes into the memory). In fact, reading a map file is (much) faster than rendering the screen for example. smile

Also, this map format is easily extensible because one can add new "instructions" and new parameters to existing "instructions" without breaking any compatibility. The binary format has the advantage that level files could be even smaller, but it would be hard/painful to keep compatibility on the future. I though about this issue when I started the project and I chose the current map format. Nowadays, 20KB is nothing.


(5 replies, posted in General)

oh, you're using the SVN version. On this version I changed the teleporters (now they work only once; on 0.1.0 they worked all the time), but I haven't removed the 2nd teleporter on level 1 act 2. Thank you, I'll do it now. smile (EDIT: it's done now)

I think the best solution would be that some teleporters can work more than one time(or always), so you can make more complex puzzles and nobody can get stuck.

I think that would confuse the player (and not help him/her).

In the first boss fight, you can get stuck in the en of the screen, i have tested with SVN version, the problem is not the inertia, because when you brake, you continue stuck in the end of the screen.

Please tell me exactly (step-by-step) what you did to get stuck.

EDIT: I modified the boss area code a little bit and commited it to the SVN repository. Please tell me if the problem persists.

In moving platforms, like the one in 2.1, the character doesn't get quiet in the platform quietly, it's moving a pixel from time to time, it's better apreciated in full screen

What? I don't understand. In moveable platforms the character really has to move pixel by pixel.


(12 replies, posted in General)

kirbyboy wrote:

I have tested the trunk version and has improved a lot, now it feels more natural when you brake, but happens the same than before, if you go fullspeed(sometimes, it doesn't happen always) in a slope going down, it pass the slope, i have a screenshot, but i don't know how to post it, help?.

I don't understand what you're saying. Posting a screenshot would be nice. You can use some service like http://www.tinypic.com or http://www.imageshack.us to upload an image to the internet, and you can post it here using the [ img ] tag (click on the image icon) smile


(7 replies, posted in Off-topic)

There is another project named "OpenSonic" hosted on sourceforge, but it's abandoned and empty. I requested a project takeover on December/2008, and sourceforge approved my request. However, I didn't gain the control of that account because the purge system of sourceforge is offline for more than 7 months due to a datacenter migration (they need to remove the old data to give me the account). Project removals and takeovers are not working for months.

I just got tired of waiting and on January/2009 I registered a new project, "opensnc". My project takeover request hasn't been fully processed yet, and although sourceforge approved it, my request is on the processing queue even today, lol :P


(15 replies, posted in General)

Neoblast wrote:

IMO the add-on should be the cooperative play
Well I guess it's just a matter of only create one player and disable all the cooperative functions and the teleport.

there should be a #define ( and consequent #ifdef's... for this)

f.e: #define co-op 0/1

if it is one enable all the co op stuff and 0 disabling them...

It's best to set this as a quest option. Cooperative-play is the default, but the user could make a custom quest and add an option like "singleplayer". So a character selection screen would pop up. But the quest could also have a fixed character (ie, sonic), so no character selecion screen would be shown at all. And of course there would be the regular quests (cooperative-play)

The current levels of Open Sonic are unsolveable without cooperative play. We can't (won't) disable that on compile-time. Besides, this is one of the main features of the game. But it would be nice to have both gamemodes (single and cooperative) smile

Try to play the tutorial level using only one character. Even if you remove the doors and the teleporter, you won't be able to clear it.


(16 replies, posted in General)

hmm, I see. So you should wait for a Mac release. It's not just compiling, because one must write a few simple pieces of code as well. Since this game is open source, we hope that a Mac release comes shortly. smile


(15 replies, posted in General)

Neoblast wrote:

Will there be a no hacky way to disable the 3 characters setting?
And get only one instead like classic sonics.
It might be good for quests but a whole game with that reminds me to knuckles chaotix, one of the sonic games I like the least.

There's no "official" way to disable the cooperative-play at this version. But this would be a nice add-on. big_smile


(15 replies, posted in General)

Some of our future plans include the insertion of original gfx/sfx, new levels, new quests, new features, bonus stages, a bigger level editor, etc.

There's no storyline yet.

Open Sonic wasn't conceived to become a general-purpouse platform engine. It is a game based on the "Sonic" universe. We provide mechanisms to enable users to make their own levels and quests based on this universe. Even so, the game engine is flexible, so it's possible to make an original platformer by doing some tweaks in the configuration files. But this is *not* our goal.


(12 replies, posted in General)

Thanks again. I already fixed these issues: please see the SVN Repository. Do a SVN checkout and compile the whole game. Tell me what you people think about the changes. smile

kirbyboy wrote:

Reading the instructions about the editor, it says i can get the item under the cursor with middle button(or right button, not sure now), it doesn't work for me(so i can't delete an item in a screen), at least in linux, tomorrow i can test windows.  I only tried "oficial" stages, not sure about custom.

The mouse buttons work both on Windows and Linux. To pick up (or delete) an item, you must select the item mode. To pick up (or delete) a brick, you must select the brick mode. Same about the enemies. Use Ctrl+N or Ctrl+B to change the edit mode.

kirbyboy wrote:

In the first boss fight, you must choose Knucles or Tails because you can get stuck at the end of the screen while fighting robotnik, and with Sonic you can't scape of the invisible wall.

There's no invisible wall. You were probably getting "stuck" because of the low friction: to move again you should hold the opposite direction key for a few seconds. But I just improved the friction in the SVN repository, so please tell me if the problem persists. smile

kirbyboy wrote:

Is the editor as precise as a pixel?, usually, the game editors(i haven't seen many) are of multiples of a number, like 8x8 or 32x32, "tiles" is the name, but with this editor, a pixel can cause the first problem i wrote before or the last problem with robotnik.  I think that the stage design(the blocks part, i think) at least should be with tiles of defined size, what do you think?, if the screen is divided in squares nobody could destroy a perfect slope by only a pixel.

Open Sonic is *not* tile-based. In the first days of development, the level editor had a grid like you're saying, but back then it was really difficult (impossible ^_^") to build the levels because the blocks didn't fit. So I removed the grid and it became precise as a pixel.


(3 replies, posted in General)

Neoblast wrote:

Could you post the level desgin especfications so that I could try and make a level editor using some RAD editor?

I will write all the theory in the level editor tutorials, but this should take a few days.


(5 replies, posted in General)

kirbyboy wrote:

If you want it, just tell me, they are easy changes, so i can tell you the changes instead.

I do. Can you send me your version by e-mail? alemartf __at__ gmail __dot__ com


(16 replies, posted in General)

Hello and welcome to the forums smile

I don't have a Mac, so I can't build/test a Mac version. This game is open source and uses cross-platforms libraries, so it shouldn't be very hard to port it to Mac. Can you do it?


(5 replies, posted in General)

Hello and welcome to the forums smile

You should compile Open Sonic using Allegro 4.2.2 (please see the readme.html that comes with the game for detailed instructions)

lexgui is a bit outdated, and there's no newer version at this time (see here). If you're using gcc, you can use -Wno-deprecated-declarations to avoid those warnings.


(4 replies, posted in General)

That's cool. You can use parts of Open Sonic on your code under these terms. If you want to use parts of this work on yours, it means that, among other things, your game must be released under the GPL and must be open source as well. Please read the full terms.

Currently Open Sonic needs artists and musicians. At least for now, I can handle the game engine. However, there is one thing Open Sonic will need in a close future: an improved Level Editor as a separate application (could be written in Java+swing, C, C++, etc). The embedded level editor can make levels very well, but the screen size is small and the controls could be more intuitive (instead of using hotkeys, one could click on buttons around the screen). Once this game gets a larger base of users ( as I hope so smile ), we'll have to have an even easier and more intuitive level editor.


(35 replies, posted in Off-topic)

You're right, it's in player.c

I'm also changing some other stuff like the gravity and the teleporters, see here


(12 replies, posted in General)

Thank you.

I'm already fixing these issues, and I plan to update the SVN repository today or tomorrow (I will drop a notice when this happens), so one will be able to see the results before the next release. I also modified the level gravity a little bit and the teleporters: now they work only once.